Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired both of my propane tanks(43 lbs a piece) and I'm getting them mounted up as soon as the engine is done. I'm wondering if I can put a fuel guage on the tanks and if I can also put a switch between em. Like what is in a ford truck w/ dual tanks. A switch so that I can switch between the 2. Please let me know so I can figure out my wiring and figure some other things out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
yea you can put a "switch" between tehm but its probably easier to use a mechanical switch IE valve that will allow you to switch between them

·
Registered
280 Posts
Of the customers i fill for propane, they all run on km's. Only 2 of the 20 or so regular customers have guages, but those 2 trucks came factory with propane rather than a conversion after it rolled off the line. By running off km's, i mean that they know their tank will drive em 1100k, so around 900 they get it filled. Are you mounting the tanks underneath the rockers

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
forklift tanks or automotive?

you can run the factory guage switch
to have both tanks hooked up legally here you have to run a backcheck valve between them, you need a T fitting anyway so this isnt a big deal.

I just open one tank at a time.
run it til it is dry then open the second one.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
MuddinXJ said:
they are 43.5 lb forklift tanks. I am mounting them both in the rear of the YJ.
There should be guages right on the tanks

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If you've got the 43lb tanks, you won't need more than one in a day... Most people run the 33# tanks and get a day out of 'em.

Mine are run into a T, but if for whatever strange reason I run out during the day, I just close one and open the other... or if I plan ahead, it'll run for a few minutes on what's in the lines.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
clear your trip meter, fill tank drive tank till empty, look at trip meter......are you still with us?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol. yeah I wasn't sure how long because this is gona be a commuter for me to and from school and a trail rig also so I was just wondering.

on another note I may be selling the tanks because I had a nicely masaged 302 appear in my garage

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
And that applies off road, when you can travel 8 miles and burn 7 gallons? Didn't think so.

I 'spose you could apply some of those temperature sensitive stickers to the tanks like on a BBQ grill tank... :rolleyes:

Just get multiple tanks, and change them once a day. ;) Just make sure your fill place charges you by the pound, not by the tank fill. (They do this alot for fork tanks)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts