Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
He's good with his setup, but I'm interested. Planning on running as much shock tech as I can stuff in there.
a 2.0 can generate a lot of force, the issue becomes heat. most limited classes rules never address shock coolers or how many hoses can come off it. or you can get creative on how to mount things to get more travel. like this guy on a class 11 ... uses the stock mounts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
I have built some shocks where there is more extra oil volume in the body than in the reservoir. Build them as long as you can when you have a limited shocks. Run a short rod in a long body.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I saw a Class 11 with a Blackhawk Resi attached to it at the B1K. I've also seen the above with stock mounting point. Fortunately I won't be limited to a stock mounting point going forward.

What I'm not sure on is if a single 2.0 with a massive resi would be better then two 2.0's. I'm guessing so. How big of a resi is too big?

If one did run two of the 2.0 any benefit to separating the rebound and compression to each shock. Finned outer coolers could be also attached to the shock body.

Or can you install a bottom mount resi on a 2.0? I also would consider the fitting on the above picture as it looks fairly restrictive with the sharp 90 or is that not that much of any issue.

Something like a 12" travel rod in a 16" body (or longer if I can find it).

Run aluminum tube bodies for better heat rejection.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Unfortunately, if your hose volume is more than your shaft displacement you loose a lot of the cooling the resi can provide. If you take the resi out of the can about 2/3's of the way up, you will have a nice bump zone once you pass it.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
The problem I have seen with a single 2.0 is you have to run them pretty hard and valve them pretty stiff if you are running a single with limited travel. As a result you have to run pretty high nitrogen pressure and as a result you can push the column and you get dramatic seal wear. For what you describe I would rather run two very long non-reservoir shocks. Typically a reservoir does not contain much oil and because of the hose it does not transfer heat as well as a standard mono tube. I don’t know how long a shock you could run before it would affect visibility.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
so how about a hard mounted resi on the bottom side of the shock, could create a metal spacer between the 2 so you would have fluid heat transfer and conduction. Hose/metal could be as large as you would like.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Unfortunately, if your hose volume is more than your shaft displacement you loose a lot of the cooling the resi can provide. If you take the resi out of the can about 2/3's of the way up, you will have a nice bump zone once you pass it.

Simply because you are not transferring oil from the body into the res and back again?

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Simply because you are not transferring oil from the body into the res and back again?
bingo, so you can laugh at them queens riding on kings spending all that money for their fancy reservoirs to keep their nitrogen cool. now if oil is circulation through the reservoir, that is a different story. you have to move the heat somewhere, if there is no air flow where the shock is they you have nothing to take it away. generally speaking this is why front shocks rarely 'go away'

i know the hartmans used a parker pumper on their jeepspeed to get air flow to their rear shocks and it made a significant difference in performance. not sure if it was a proof of concept or they kept it that way.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
bingo, so you can laugh at them queens riding on kings spending all that money for their fancy reservoirs to keep their nitrogen cool.
LOLZ, yup!

A recirculating resi set-up can have over a 100* drop in oil temps. Now if you were to get rid of the IFP by using a bladder, you would get more surface area contact and less friction. Double win......

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
a 2.0 can generate a lot of force, the issue becomes heat. most limited classes rules never address shock coolers or how many hoses can come off it. or you can get creative on how to mount things to get more travel. like this guy on a class 11 ... uses the stock mounts
fyi, this doesnt use stock mounts, the idea is it falls in the legal sense of max eye to eye distance :D

21 - 31 of 31 Posts