Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am not overstepping my boundries with this post. I have been working on this rustbucket my wife wanted and in an attempt to make this 1981 toyota standard cab short box. I was just trying to build a versitile little mountain rig when I stubbled on the dual tranny idea. I read through the threads and for the past few weeks have came up with a very suitable adapter plate that meets all the criteria of what is needed for a reliable setup.

I have the adapter at the CNC now and should be bolting it in next week.

I will make a quick explanation of it how it works, because I am curious just how much intrest is still in this setup.

First I am doubling an L50 and a W56 .
W56 is in the rear.
I cut the input shaft back as well as the bearing sleeve and reduced the overall thickness of the adapter to 2". Replaced the oil seal in the tail housing of the L50. Then drew the adapter plate on a CAD program for perfect bolt alignment, clearanced the sleeve housing, and aligned the spline.

Now it is being cut on a CNC out of 6061 aluminum bar. I will have 2 holes tapped for 12mm on both sides and the bottom. These three side will be square and the top will match the face on the W56. This will make for a dry joint adapter and will be a simple bolt together.I also have the ability to clock the adapter if I wish (although I am not going to) on the CAD. This will mate the L,W,and G in any combo you choose. (except any L series has to be up front, of course!)
All other fab work will be done according to my needs, as you would do.

I know that Bud has an adapter sitting in his shop, and as of last week, was still undecided about putting his on the market.

I am not selling anything, just polling for intrest.

Now I would like just find out how much imtrest is still out there for this adapter. As well as maybe revive the subject.

Anybody that knows about this already knows the gearing possibilities, as well as the savings in the pocket, compared to the other options....

Post a reply and let me know if your still into this idea......

Thanks,
Roger
Harrison, MT.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
hopefully yours will work well.

I would have just bought one from marlin. took him four times to perfect the adapter

he's talking dual trannies gus, not dual t-cases.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm working on setting up a L52-W56 package now.
Care to share the cad file of your adapter?
I can use almost any format(dxf, sldprt, step, b_x...)Solidworks, AutoCAD...
[email protected]

csudman was selling a nice adapter but I don't think that there was much interest in the dual tranny setup. Too many people want to go the proven route.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
I'm working on setting up a L52-W56 package now.
Care to share the cad file of your adapter?
I can use almost any format(dxf, sldprt, step, b_x...)Solidworks, AutoCAD...
[email protected]

csudman was selling a nice adapter but I don't think that there was much interest in the dual tranny setup. Too many people want to go the proven route.
i'm starting to wish i went the dual tranny route now. enough people talked about the shaft failures to scare most people away, but i'm convinced that if you know the proper gears to be in (in reference from front to rear tranny), there should be no issues. the down for me- long drivetrain. the up- shift on the fly.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
MMMMM dual transmissions my single most favorite topic!!! maybe there is a way I can make a triple shifter. Operate the transfercase and extra transmission in one spot.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
MMMMM dual transmissions my single most favorite topic!!! maybe there is a way I can make a triple shifter. Operate the transfercase and extra transmission in one spot.
what was that song from the 70's? aaaaaaaaaaah - tweak out!
i'm sure you can find a way.:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
BillyBob:
enough people talked about the shaft failures to scare most people away, but i'm convinced that if you know the proper gears to be in (in reference from front to rear tranny), there should be no issues. the down for me- long drivetrain.

I don't think that what they have experienced is shaft failure, but gear failure. How many of the people that have posted a build on this subject, actually used rebuilt trannies for the build. None that I know. I am not going to either. The fact is, the two trannies that are being severly abused intentionly have 100,000, 200,000, and even 300,000 miles on them. Put a set of rebuilt trannies in there and the chance of any failure at all will diminish considerably...

4runnerfreak:
Sorry don't care to share yet....I have to get it back and be sure it fits up to my satisfaction..

Does anybody know how much csuds was selling his adapter for?

All of the adapters that I have seen so far are just a bunch of plates welded together or bolted together.Why is there no solid on piece adapter out there?
This seems like the only way to prevent warpage and shifting, as well a getting a sealed dry joint.

I appreciate your comments, keep them up. I want to hear all the concerns with this setup as well as if you would want one..... I am working on perfecting this thing. I will be posting the build as soon as I get the plate back......

Thanks,
Roger
Harrison, MT.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
it has always been a really cool idea, But in IMO toyota pickup trannies or sort of a weaker point in the drive train..And when you go and add all that extra reduction in front of the second tranny it is way to much torque being sent to it, Kinda like adapting a pumped Cummings turbo diesel to the toy tranny with 700lb of TQ, It is just not going to hold up to that kind or torque.. Rebuilt or not those little gears, shafts and bearings just are not big enough for that kind of torque.. If you go into it knowing that and drive accordingly it might last.. But I would always be worried, Plus it is so damn long.. With all the options with duals and gear sets It is just not worth it to me at all.. unless you need to get 4 or 5 speeds in reverse:D

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I pondered doing this once, mathmaticaly tranny failure is a sure thing. Realistcally some are making this setup work very well. I think that a 1 piece is the way to go. I looked at it and the same tranny mods that you spoke of were the same I thought had to happen. The bolt patterns looked as if you could bolt the adapter to one trans and put studs in to bolt the second to it. And its convienient that a trans seal fits the bearing retainer on toy trans.If I had in house CNC I prolly would have made one of these 2 years ago,since I don't I gave up on it. Good luck to you. Also I think that if you intergrated a pillow block mount into the side of the adapter for the front driveshaft that would be pimp.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The dual transmission concept has been around for a really long time. Old big rig trucks used to have dual transmissions before going to the Road Ranger setup. Old timers would talk about 2 stick 4x4 and they meant transmissions.

Probably find some good stuff in archives of 1950s and 1960s truck publications.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
like pat said, with $299 adapter plates and $340 4.7 gear sets, why bother? strength is certainly an issue with the second tranny receiving gobs of torque it was never intended to endure. a dual Tcase setup is a proven design and quite strong...not to throw a turd in your punch bowl, but i dont see the point, of course thats what the cavemen probably said to the guy chiseling a wheel out of stone as well:D

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
Now if there was a cheap way to put say a sm465 behind a yota trans that'd be unbelievably sick.... Too bad the adapters alone would run over $1k..

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Now if there was a cheap way to put say a sm465 behind a yota trans that'd be unbelievably sick.... Too bad the adapters alone would run over $1k..
is the sm465's input shaft big enough to turn it into a 21spline shaft??? :homer:
then it would take a thin plate to bolt it all together.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
what if you used a np435 out of a dodge that had a 23 spline input and ( i think ) a round 6 bolt 23 spline output. and then go into a d300 or just use marlins 23 spline input shaft with a toy case.

1 - 20 of 308 Posts