Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to run dual cases with stock gears and achieve a gear ratio to run 35' tires without diffential re-gearing. I believe my stock 4Cyl. diffs are 4.10. I drive this truck back and forth to work 70 miles roundtrip. I have the money for a dual case adapter and tires but not gears. That is why I am asking this question. I don't exactly understand how the two cases regear the drive train in 2WD or if they even do. Thanks For Your Help Ron

·
Registered
340 Posts
The dual cases will just give you more gearing options OFF-ROAD. Everything in 2wd will be the same as it is now. So if you go to bigger tires you'll have to regear to make up for the power loss. You could just try running it with out regearing and see if your engine can handle it or if you can stand it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks For The Reply

I appreciate your response. I guess it is back to the drawing board. Damn gears and install kits are not cheap I was trying to pull a fast one. No such luck. Ron

·
Registered
199 Posts
with dual cases you can actually run 2 low which is like having 9 something ring gear in your differential, which is a lot lower than 5:29. you put the first case in 4 low and then second case in 2 hi which will give you 2 lo. If you drive this thing everyday i wouldnt think driving around a lot in low is a good idea, so you might want to rear gear the diffs if this is your daily driver. dont forget to check the for sale section from time to time and could possibly pick up a nice deal on a 5:29 third member.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I agree, 529's are the way to go. Have had no issues with 529's as far as strength (5yrs). They are great on the street and you can actually use 5th gear. I have 170,000 miles on my rear set, with a Detroit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Either gear the diffs down or power the engine up, dual cases won't do squat on the road. In my case, I run 4.10 gears and do just fine on the street with 38" tires. If anything, I want to go to 3.90 gears but can't justify the cost for a mere 6% of street improvement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts