Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only hardcore for its complete stupidity! It may get moved but I'll start it here!

Did some grinding on the jeep 2 days ago. Windshield was removed so I wasn't worried about the sparks hurting anything and they didn't...Until I left them on the white hood and pushed the jeep in the yard...uncovered. 2 inches of rain later I have the rustiest looking piece of shit you've ever seen. :mad3::mad3::mad3:

What are my options of getting rid of this rust? I am sure it is just in the clear, would a good waxing do it or am I looking at some professional paint salvage here? The jeep is beat to crap anyway but this rust just looks awful and I need to fix it. Thoughts on helping my fix my complete dumbass-ery?

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Take a Sharpe and draw a line connecting all the rusty dots together. Who knows... maybe it'll turn out to look like this:flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Depending on the age of the rig (like whether it has an old lacquer type paint or a modern urethane basecoat/clearcoat), it may be able to be repaired.

If the melted in metal is not too deep, the least invasive thing to try would be a red clay bar (like Clay-Magic from Fiberglass-Evercoat) and soapy water. This will catch many of those metal flakes and pull them out. It also sands the paint the tiniest bit.

If the burned in metal is not affected by this, then you're going to need to sand with the finest sandpaper. It will remove the rust staining and maybe most of the metal shards.

Hopefully, it will come out without removing too much of the paint. You may need to re-clear the vehicle or take the opportunity to repaint the vehicle in the color you've always wanted.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Ok I think this thread is misleading.....

A dumbass move of the week usually isnt a paint issue....now push it back in the garage put it in reverse,jump the neutral safety switch and hit the key....dont forget to run yourself over in the process!!!!:grinpimp:

Now that would be a dumbass move of the week......(bonus points will be awarded if there is a jeep shaped hole in the back wall of the garage where it made it all the way out!!!!:flipoff2:)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
you will have to wet sand it....for the best result...

short similar story, i ground my 3/4ton calipers to fit my 15" wheels in my driveway...well, 3 hours of grinding later there was a nice coat of grinder dust on my f150.....came out the next morning, and the dew had turned that dust to a solid layer of rust....

i had to wet sand it with 1000/1500 and then cut/buff, polish and wax...it was not a fun mistake...took 16hrs on the paint to get it right again....

hopefully your case is not as severe....

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

A dumbass move of the week usually isnt a paint issue....now push it back in the garage put it in reverse,jump the neutral safety switch and hit the key....dont forget to run yourself over in the process!!!!:grinpimp:

Now that would be a dumbass move of the week......(bonus points will be awarded if there is a jeep shaped hole in the back wall of the garage where it made it all the way out!!!!:flipoff2:)
I agree... Dumbass move of the week should have pictures like this:

(went to roll up window after I loaded everything, accidently started in gear, tried to shift to neutral, grabbed 2nd instead... bang.)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I agree... Dumbass move of the week should have pictures like this:

(went to roll up window after I loaded everything, accidently started in gear, tried to shift to neutral, grabbed 2nd instead... bang.)
Yes much better example.......:D And one that fits my criteria....but missed you and got the tow rig!!!(no I dont want anyone to actually get hurt...)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If the grinding dust was just lying on top without burning into the paint, a simple cut and buff should do the trick. Like under psi said, hopefully your paint isn't affected as much as his.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
go to your locak hardware store and get some "CLR" it takes all that junk off so i think it should work for you. i would try some of it on a spot that isnt that noticeable like under the hood before you go dumping it on the hood.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Agreed, you'll have to wet sand.

You can TRY to simply scuff it all out with a green dish scrub pad, and re-clear it, but wet sanding is your best bet.

Also, I would recommend soapy water to wet sand with. That way, if you see colored suds, you know you sanded too deep.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good stuff! Figured I would get and deserved a whole lot more crap than I've gotten. :flipoff2:

Btw, its a 97 and factory paint. I am going to try the Clay bar thing. if that doesn't work...fawk it! I kinda like the color of rust!

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
i know you can buff it off. at my old job they would run brake pads down to the metal for days and if it rained the whole side of the car looked all spotty of rust like your talking about. it is possible to buff it out using a medium cut compound but you really have to put some muscle into it and the longer it sits the harder it is to come offf

·
Registered
388 Posts

Thats fawkin funny :laughing:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i know you can buff it off. at my old job they would run brake pads down to the metal for days and if it rained the whole side of the car looked all spotty of rust like your talking about. it is possible to buff it out using a medium cut compound but you really have to put some muscle into it and the longer it sits the harder it is to come offf
There is no need to remove paint with med cut compound. Clay works way better. When you use compound you are basicly sanding the metal off. The clay pulls the metal out saving the paint surface. Clay kicks ass for this exact issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts