Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i installed the rear 5.29's and am working on the break in... i installed the front gears today, and im just sitting here wondering how i should attempt the break in on them... should i...

1. drive with the hubs locked and the t-case in 2wd? or...
2. drive with the hubs unlocked and the t-case in 4 hi?

im sure some will say break in on a ring and pinion is voodoo an not needed, but these are my first gear setups and i want to give myself the best chance for success.

·
Registered
322 Posts
okay, so i installed the rear 5.29's and am working on the break in... i installed the front gears today, and im just sitting here wondering how i should attempt the break in on them... should i...

1. drive with the hubs locked and the t-case in 2wd? or...
2. drive with the hubs unlocked and the t-case in 4 hi?

im sure some will say break in on a ring and pinion is voodoo an not needed, but these are my first gear setups and i want to give myself the best chance for success.
I actually checked the calender to see if today was Tuesday :shaking:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
bite me newbie! the question aint that dumb!
I don't think isn't a dumb question either. If you run it in 2 wheel drive with the hubs locket in the contact will be on the coast side of the gears. If you run it in 4 wheel drive with the hubs unlocked I don't think you'll have enough pressure on the gears to brake them in and they may bounce. How about a dirt road and run it in 4wheel drive with the hubs locked? :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
How about a dirt road and run it in 4wheel drive with the hubs locked? :)
This, go ahead and put a few miles on it. If you did your homework and your set up is correct you shoundn't have any problems.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,735 Posts
As my gear guy told said to me, "you going to the Con this weekend", I said "yes", he said "good, by the time you get to the box they will be broken in, get it"!!!! He goes by Gearman on this BB and is a member of the Pirates of the Rubicon and one of the best gear person there is.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replys guys, a local club is wanting a mild ride (im not really a "club" kind of guy) but i guess ill tag along.

·
Registered
296 Posts
are you post to change out ur fluid to after you run it ?
English Please? :flipoff2::shaking:
Are you supposed to change your gear oil after the break-in period?

Yes I would...inspect to see if you have any metal shavings in your oil...check the teeth and see if your riding on the toes or the heels. Maybe paint a few teeth and spin the ring gear a time or 2 to see where everything is riding...

On another note I would just take it easy on your first trip and let the gears break in on there own. Ive broke a couple ring gears just grabbin gears...but ive broken my shifter off grabbin gears too so shit happens...:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts