Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my favorite Parts store today to see about upgrading to electronic ignition, as my 2F is a 77 with the points condensor system. anyways the only option for the Petronix is for a 74, will this go into my 77, it appears that the Points are different as they are a different parts #. Anybody done this on a 77? I know Crane makes somthin as well, but I really like the Petronix system, as I know people that have used it and said nothin but good things. Any help on the subject is appreciated. Oh and I thought about going to a 78 Distributer, but they seem to be pricey, and I can get the Petronix for $100Cdn.

Cheers
Tyler
:fj:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
On this one if you are going to search there is a lot of stuff there, and not a whole lot of it in that particular thread. I think a '74 IIRC is vaccuum advance / vaccuum retard, either that or just vaccuum retard. If you plumb your distibutor vaccuum hose the way it was designed to be when OEM, it should work fine and should install accordingly. But I think a '78 style dist is a vaccuum advance which is actually a bonus. You shouldn't actually have any trouble with the installation, there are no major differences that would prevent it if it's anything like the crane cams setup (which I've been told it is). Also, your '78 is supposed to be electronic (at least in the USA). But it should install in either with no problems.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion, but mine is a 77. The last year of points. The auto parts guy doesnt know if it will go in, and neither do I. I would assume that it is a different distributer, as the latest kit they have is for a 74. The other reason I think it may be different is because the 74 and 77 take different points, as we cross referenced them, My question was wether anybody had actually converted a 77, but it would appear that some of you have, so I will try it out.

Cheers
Tyler

·
Registered
363 Posts
The pertronix system will not fit '75 and later semi-electronic distributors.
I was told by Bill Jackson in this thread that the later distributors can be modified by Mel at JT Outfitters to accept the pertronix unit. The easiest way to add a pertronix igniton to your '77 is to pick up a pre '75 points distributor, install the pertronix conversion and drop it in.
The only problem with this setup is that '77 used a vacuum retard distributor system whereas the early models use a vacuum advance distributor. You must have a ported vacuum source on the carb for the advance timing. You may already have a non-usa carb set up this way, but if not, this will add to your expense.
Why not just swap in a '79 - 80 electronic distributor? It is sealed, waterproof, vented to the cab, and has a dual diaphragm system that can be used for vacuum advance or retard? With all of the distributor and carb modifications required to run the pertronix it might be cheaper and is certainly easier to use the later model electronics unit or HEI.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My understanding on the carbs was that both non-USA and late '77 models had vac advance. I'm running a late '77 carb on my '76, and it definately has vacuum advance, as well as vac retard, while still retaining the same basic smog setup.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My carb is not a problem, as I have a Carter AFB 500 4bbl. But thanks for the info, thats what I was wondering. I think It may be easier to find the older distributer, but I will definatelly keep my eyes open for both the pre 75 and the 78 and newer... Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers
Tyler

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Before my 76 FJ-55 burnt to the ground I had the 80's electronic ignition in it. Believe it was from an 84 or so. Worked great, but you need to get the ignitor and coil as well. You also need to replace the side cover on the engine with a later model side cover that has the dent to accomodate the larger distributor.

I was going for authentic, stock look with working smog components (quite a challenge). Sounds like that's not a concern for you, so this may not be the cheapest or easiest to acquirew choice.

But for you California cruiser lovers...... its an option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts