Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new shocks (DT3000s) for the XJ. First time I've put brand new aftermarket shocks on (previous set was used). The hardware includes some small steel tubes. What are these for? Looks like they might go inside the bushings - does the tube get "sandwiched" between the mounting bolt on the axle and the shock bushing? I'm putting on JKS BPEs, do I need to use the tubes with the BPEs, too? No clue what to do with em. Thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
GreenXJ said:
Just got my new shocks (DT3000s) for the XJ. First time I've put brand new aftermarket shocks on (previous set was used). The hardware includes some small steel tubes. What are these for? Looks like they might go inside the bushings - does the tube get "sandwiched" between the mounting bolt on the axle and the shock bushing? I'm putting on JKS BPEs, do I need to use the tubes with the BPEs, too? No clue what to do with em. Thanks.

Matt
You answered your own question. They go in the bushings and keep the bushing from getting deformed and/or chewed up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
GreenXJ said:
does the tube get "sandwiched" between the mounting bolt on the axle and the shock bushing?
Matt
Yes, but you don't always need them. They are included to cover various types of shock mounting. In addition to preventing the bushing from getting eaten by the thru-bolt, they also establish proper bushing pre-load, same as the metal sleeve in a leaf spring eye bushing does.

example: The XJ (using stock mounting) does not use them, but a TJ using the exact same shock does use them on the lower rear mounting point.

I don't think you need the tubes with the BPE's. If it takes a little effort to push the BPE thru the bushing, then you don't need the sleeve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts