Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i run my co2 straight out the tank to fill tires with no regulation, will it freeze the nozzle on the air chuck shut and be worthless?? same question for pneumatic tools(no regulator)??

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Straight from the bottle will be 6-800psi. I really don't think that's a good idea.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
No regulator will kill your tools and will blow the hose up as well. When I had a regulator go bad, it took just a couple minutes and the hose popped. After the 2nd PowerTank brand regulator went bad, I just used one off a soda machine. It has work excellent since.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
hell for that matter it may even do damage to your tires.. If a super cold shot of that stuff is blasting on the inside of your side wall through the valve stem it may make Krispy Rubber.. :D I know there is a problem in extreme climates with most tires getting hard and cracking in the cold:eek:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just an idea, but have you tried SCBA tanks? No, not SCUBA, just SCBA that firefighters use. If you look around, you can usually find tanks and regulators at city auctions. Make sure you get one that has passed the hydro test, otherwise you can't be sure how much it can safely hold. They are rated at 2216 PSI, and I run 2 of them on my truck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got mine from a welding supply store for $56 it will go to125 psi,some of the smaller welder models or soda regulators wont go over 65. The Volume is what you need as well, the pressure we wnant to be 125-150 max but a pin hole for a regulator will take forever to fill a tire.
I also use a good flex hose after the reg to let the cold disapate a bit before i put in my tires. Straight co2 in liquid remember will rise with temperature creating a vary large bang while driving:eek: :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
GaryGreco said:
Straight co2 in liquid remember will rise with temperature creating a vary large bang while driving:eek: :D
I have measured this, and even in hot summer Alabama driving, I got only a couple PSI rise in tire pressure.

If you put liquid CO2 into the tire, you are gonna get one helluva tire rupture. You are probably going to the hospital for frostbite if you dont go to the morgue first.

·
Registered
535 Posts
newbie tip of the day.. :D

i found this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11774&item=3309793439&rd=1

they're used 15# co2 tanks for $19.99 each.. thats pretty darn cheap, anyone looking for a co2 tank should look at these!

also, ebay has a bunch of co2 regulators on sale.. as someone else mentioned, some are 65psi max.. some are 120-150psi max, so look out for what you get.

·
Registered
421 Posts
just so you know I run straight off the bottle have for 2 years the key is to just crack open the tank i have been running the same air tools entire time. and have never burst a line or a tire.. just have to use common sense dont turn the valve all the way on. :D :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Morgue is for sure Alabama, the shop teacher here at the school i help out at did that with his trailer..take note Chad...
He top off a leaking tire with some co2 from a welding bottle he had and about 10 miles if that he said it blew apart. Now this guy is pretty sharp so i think he filed it slowly, but if he didnt at got any liquid in it ,well we think that he did no matter how hard he tried not to.

ALso Chad listen up .... co2 and oxygen valves are double seated ,meaning they have to be completely open or closed or they will leak. so if you leave a bottle crack with it hooked up to hose or something it is leaking out of the valve almost for sure.
Your welding supply will tell you this also.

The big thing with the regulator is to slow down the co2 and and .... regulate pressure. Not that you cant fill a tire or use a air wrench with the valve only ,but i prefer to do it the right way for $56 .
Problem with filling those ebay bottles ,most welding shops won't exchange any bottle but there own ,they will fill it but if they aren't a filling depot it cold take a day or two.

Nice site that Mc master..wow

Gary

·
Registered
421 Posts
hello? your not leaving the bottle cracked all the time only in use the leakage is very minimal. i can run a couple months going out almost every weekend on one tank so its not leaking much:D and have never blown a tire

·
Registered
344 Posts
Chad ..bud hey its your bottle and your money you can do whatever you want...I'm just stating some facts about the bottles and how they work. If your careful you will probaly never have a problem and i hope you don't.. but as a rule of thumb i prefer to advise people on the proper way of doing it thats all. I come in here to help people with the toyota's cause i worked on them for so long making a living on them so any info i can give to help i will :D

But if you want trick ..use nitrogen in those tires...hehehe;)

Dont know about air tools but tires stay consistant for sure..

Cost is way more though ..so in the long run of up and down tire inflating co2 is better in my opinion..:D

Gary

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
GaryGreco said:
Chad ..bud hey its your bottle and your money you can do whatever you want...I'm just stating some facts about the bottles and how they work. If your careful you will probaly never have a problem and i hope you don't.. but as a rule of thumb i prefer to advise people on the proper way of doing it thats all. I come in here to help people with the toyota's cause i worked on them for so long making a living on them so any info i can give to help i will :D

But if you want trick ..use nitrogen in those tires...hehehe;)

Dont know about air tools but tires stay consistant for sure..

Cost is way more though ..so in the long run of up and down tire inflating co2 is better in my opinion..:D

Gary
First, I'm glad you're pushing safety first. I'm sure there are many things that you can get away with, but it only takes one f*ck-up for someone to get hurt.
As far as the Nitrogen goes, Co2 is just as stable. The nitrogen tanks also don't have the same capacity as Co2, so you get less fills, and it costs more. The roundy-round guys run Nitro up here, a few have seen my Power Tank and are all over it, now.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i stole the regulator off my arb co2 setup and got a compressor for the arb. are the gages on these things specific to the compound in the tank? i fawked one of mine up in a roll...

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
well i stole the regulator off my arb co2 setup and got a compressor for the arb. are the gages on these things specific to the compound in the tank? i fawked one of mine up in a roll...
Ask a compatent welding supply shop, they will tell ya:) Don'y trust us yahoo internet geeks:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts