Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so sometime in the few years its been since I put my 'race truck' (local tuff-truck type) together..... I never filled the front diff with oil (D44).

Not that it gets driven or wheeled much, but long story short, I pop it open and it dry, gears are pretty trashed and the bearing are pretty 'chunky' (to rotate).

Doesn't bother me *too* much since I have plans to regear (probably this winter) with all new crap.

Reason I pulled it however was to slap a (new) detroit in there for a wheeling trip/weekend I have coming up. Then probably whatever races I make this year to finish off (maybe one or two if I'm lucky).

Question: Will I take a LARGE chance of ruining the Detroit if I run it with the current gear/bearings? My thinking is that if I clean the diff out well (get any shavings out). Re-setup to a decent pattern of some sort. Add lube this time I could atleast get a couple trail runs out of it.

Am I taking a risk that not worth it? Or are the odds pretty good it really shouldn't effect the detroit much if at all (unless I :nuke: the gears, which is possible).

Re-assure me or talk me out of it.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
For as much work as the install is I would at least get some good used gears and bearings to install. You would be pissed if you got it all back together to have it go kaboom in the parking lot and taking out the detroit with it. To me, the parts are relativly cheap compared to the labor involved.
________
Buy glass pipes

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've always heard that if you break things inside typically the detroit is toast as well. I dont know from personal experience as I've never tosted gears with a detroit. Just what I've heard.

Would I take the chance? Hell no.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I wouldn't, but I haven't seen the gears / felt the bearings. Can you post pics?

Why not just weld up that carrier for the couple of trips / races? That way you can pull it and toss it when you put in all your new stuff/Detroit.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Am I taking a risk that not worth it? Or are the odds pretty good it really shouldn't effect the detroit much if at all (unless I :nuke: the gears, which is possible).
Fuck putting the detroit in there. Weld the spiders, dump some oil off in there, and wheel the fucker til it explodes, and then take some carnage pics. The chances of blowing that brand new detroit up are too high running that shredded crap thats in there.

You've already got the detroit, and the gears and bearings in there are already fucked. So who cares? Or just find ya a 60 to slap under there and build that instead.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
3K posts and no gear oil. You need to spend more time on vehicle maintenance and less time on the computer.

Dont destroy the detroit in there.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
3K posts and no gear oil. You need to spend more time on vehicle maintenance and less time on the computer.

Dont destroy the detroit in there.
Even the best builders can forget details like that.

The best way not to forget is to put a piece of paper over the key hole or on the steering wheel with GEAR LUBE or whatever your case may be. I started doing that after decideing to test drive my rig with the upper link tube adaptors tacked on.
________
BONG PICTURES

·
Registered
213 Posts
Fuck putting the detroit in there. Weld the spiders, dump some oil off in there, and wheel the fucker til it explodes, and then take some carnage pics. The chances of blowing that brand new detroit up are too high running that shredded crap thats in there.

You've already got the detroit, and the gears and bearings in there are already fucked. So who cares? Or just find ya a 60 to slap under there and build that instead.
weld it and weld it good. And use plaenty of good quality gear lube.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I guess I will be "that guy" and say- how could a bad gearset mess up a detroit?? My first choice would be to get a cheap set of used gears if it was a common ratio like 3.50 or so. Failing that, I would at least get my hands on a good used set of bearings and use the damaged gears depending on just how bad they are- pretty subjective though.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, apparently my 'e-mail notification with new posts' isn't working worth a darn... O-well.

Kind of funny, I posted this same thing on my local board and got the exact opposite result. Most felt the risk was low of killing the detroit in some way, although obviously still there. Biggest thought there was a bad carrier bearing spinning on the detroit.

Actually, the detroit was used... I think the true story was it was installed, then removed. It actually had carrier bearing on it already, so I used those. The pinion bearings 'looked' good, and I hosed any and all crap out of them as best I could. They sure feal chunky though. I may just replace them after all.

I wouldn't, but I haven't seen the gears / felt the bearings. Can you post pics?

Why not just weld up that carrier for the couple of trips / races? That way you can pull it and toss it when you put in all your new stuff/Detroit.

weld it and weld it good. And use plaenty of good quality gear lube.
I got a picture in the camera, I need to up load it. Welding is not what I want to do.... the rears already that way :D. And this thing wheels like crap with an open front (not enough articulation to make up for it). This rig won't get a D60 in the front, it runs 33's, maybe 35's eventually for wheeling duty. If this was a rear.... yep, the Miller would come out again.

Ya, I probably deserve that. Atleast in my defence I tossed this thing together from crap I had laying around maybe 4 years ago, and for the first couple years it got used maybe once a year, the rest of the time it sat under a tarp (if it was lucky). This last year a new promoter has been running some more events, so its gotten the start of a good flogging, but ya, no real maintenance other than obvious things that have come up. I never even gave much thought to checking the front diff. The rear leaks, so it gets checked more frequently :D

Lately its been much easier to web-wheel than actually wheel or wrench.... family takes precedence over wheeling and wrenching time... haven't gotten to that happy medium yet.

Even the best builders can forget details like that.
:D

Well its in. If I had my new gears here I wouldn't have even hesitated, or if I had another used set kicking around that match what got trashed. I'm not super happy with it.... the pinion bearings 'looked' good, but they are chunky as hell, but today was the only day I really had to work on it.

You never know though.... I may get my new stuff and tear it apart again. I've been known to do things like that... last minute like.. Hate doing it....

Set up actually went OK, one carrier bearing change, and one pinion depth and I actually got a pattern that seemed somewhat decent. Biggest pain is getting to it of course. Nicer if it was a rear.

The best way not to forget is to put a piece of paper over the key hole or on the steering wheel with GEAR LUBE or whatever your case may be. I started doing that after decideing to test drive my rig with the upper link tube adaptors tacked on.
So I'm not the only one to do that, i feel much better now.
I've made lists before for just that reason... kind of hard to remember what done and whats not on last minute cram sessions sometime... if like me most of the time.. its days/weeks between working on things.

Thanks for the advice guys, it really is sitting in the back of my mind. If I had seen your responses earlier I might have made a different decision.... here's crossing my fingers.... or some all-night wrenching sessions are coming up :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I guess I will be "that guy" and say- how could a bad gearset mess up a detroit?? My first choice would be to get a cheap set of used gears if it was a common ratio like 3.50 or so. Failing that, I would at least get my hands on a good used set of bearings and use the damaged gears depending on just how bad they are- pretty subjective though.
Hey Rusty, just want to warn you that running that old gear dry prolly has heated it and weakend it. It the gear lets go on the trail ride, what normally happens to Detroits under shock loads? Seems like an awfully big risk! The bearings are going to continue to deteriorate and the metal will eat on the Detroit teeth a little. I know you have already got this thing back together but my vote would've been to swap an open carrier and a Lok-rite or other lunchbox locker until you are ready for the new gears. If I were closer I would be glad to help you out on gear installs or maybe even giving you an open carrier. Good luck and let me know how it hoolds up.

Sean

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK, I've been mulling this around in my head while chasing the toddler around all day....

So its back together now, as I said above. However I don't like it, and I've waited a while to actually run some sort of locker in the front for once (at least its not the ARB I have coming :D). I'm not going to tear it apart just this second, cause as of now, the truck and be 'ready to go'.

So, my current plan "A":

Order my new gears, and build that new front axle I've been planning. If I hop to it, there's a good chance I could actually get it together pretty quick (slightly wider axle, eventually to be linked). Get it cut, turned, narrowed and ready to go, then yard the detroit out and set up the new gears.

Plan "B". Since "A" is doable, but quite involved, if it starts coming down to the wire I'll just jack up my normal trail rig, and yard the 4.10's out of it and re-setup the front removing the junk gears and pinion bearings. A variation on this would be if a good used set fall in my lap before that.

Plan "C", run it and cross my fingers. Not my favorite plan, but like I said currently its together and ready to go so if all my wrenching time vanishes between now and then, I'll just bite the bullet. If/when I move the truck I'll just keep it in 2wd and the front hubs unlocked. That way if A or B comes to fruition, I haven't mixed any of the crap in the front.

Plan "D". Tear it all out and put the open carrier back in. Couple hours of work, and not my favorite idea at all, but it would save the detroit for sure.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post pictures of carnage if there is any.

Oh, ya, pics of the ring gear:

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
run that shit. looks better than the gears in my 60. they got chewed somehow (probably not enouigh oil) and they stilll are ok.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The gears definitely have heated up. If you're interested in a used 4.10 and perhaps some good used bearings and new shims to boot, I'll hook you up. Let me know and I can ship them to ya.

Sean

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your not alone... There are other dumb asses out there, like myself who have also left the gear oil out. Some how or another the ARB has always worked fine, lucky me I guess. For now I cleaned out the metal and filled it back up but I do intend to do the gear before any major outting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
When I had a windshield, I used to write all the fluids that neded to be filled on the inside of it with a dry-erase marker...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts