Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You may want to consider reversing your motor mounts. Put the bushing at the frame. I have mine like yours with block huggers. I melt the driver side mount.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Those are his uppers.
That is his upper link.....but I don't see that setup having much for body roll control without relying heavily on a big sway bar
Not sure how I missed the lower link directly on his axle... whoop.:homer:

Carry on with the build :D

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Why specifically do you say that?
The uppers appear to have a decent amount of triangulation to the axle. Not quite the infamous mono spring but the more triangulation those upper see the more it will handle like one. It would be like mounting coilovers way inboard.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
The uppers appear to have a decent amount of triangulation to the axle. Not quite the infamous mono spring but the more triangulation those upper see the more it will handle like one. It would be like mounting coilovers way inboard.
I see the triangulation but don't get the reference to the mono spring. Is there a link to some other discussion of this? Lots of rigs have triangulated uppers ... not doubting you, this is just something I'm interested in researching more.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I see the triangulation but don't get the reference to the mono spring. Is there a link to some other discussion of this? Lots of rigs have triangulated uppers ... not doubting you, this is just something I'm interested in researching more.
Lots of rigs have triangulated uppers but they don't have the coilovers mounted to them

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Lots of rigs have triangulated uppers but they don't have the coilovers mounted to them
You're right. That's the part of your post that I wasn't getting. I thought you were saying something about the link placement was going to inherently lead to instability that you could tell just by looking without measurements. I'm so accustom to seeing the c/o on the axle or lower link that my mind was ignoring that they were in fact on the upper link. :homer:

So yeah, now I agree with you. That design will be intentionally designing out a lot of stability.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
You're right. That's the part of your post that I wasn't getting. I thought you were saying something about the link placement was going to inherently lead to instability that you could tell just by looking without measurements. I'm so accustom to seeing the c/o on the axle or lower link that my mind was ignoring that they were in fact on the upper link. :homer:

So yeah, now I agree with you. That design will be intentionally designing out a lot of stability.
I was go to go with "intentionally designing in a lot of instability"........ :) :) :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Been working a on the stretching the rear for spare tire. I will be building a aluminum box for tools and spare parts under the tire. I push the rear back 10" and raised the inside frame up about 3" to help clear the third member since it will be high pinion. Also ordered up the front Ruffstuff housing it should be done soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes the top is all tig welded and the bottom was someone else in the Tahoe area I bought it off skippedlink

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Update finally got things going again. I got disc brakes going with 74welds huds dual drilled 8on6.5 and 6on6.5 TT with wilwood calipers and spidertrax rotors.
Also got front shocks 2.5x14” fox coilovers from Accutune, they will be rebuilding my one mock-up shock and I will be getting one new shock to match.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It’s been a long time since I have posted anything on here but the buggy is been done for about 2 years.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts