Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(self-moved from the Chevy forum...)

Hey guys,

After a weekend of driving my Dad's Duramax Crew Cab shortbed I'm pretty much convinced that it's my diesel powerplant of choice. That transmission sure is sweet too.

So, I'm sending out little 'feelers' to see where to get a Duramax/Allison combo to do a re-transplant into my Land Rover.

I just finished a custom build-up of the thing with a 350, AA overdrive, SM-465 and LT-230, but honestly was never satisfied with the overdrive/transmission setup.

I was thinking 4l80e transplant, but if I'm going to go through all the trouble of taking the truck apart (again), I might as well get the sweetest package I can think of.

My father's truck made me think that it's that Duramax/Allison combo.

Any suggestions or info would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
your going to have to replace the entire drivetrain, suspension and probably cut into the firewall. do you realize how much those weigh and all of the electronic controls that go with them???? why not just go buy a chevy truck??

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
My pops has an '02 3500 with the Duramax/Allison combo... sweet stuff.

The first hurdle your going to have is finding the combo and paying for it. There is a guy in our club (Willyswanter here on the board) who is putting an allison in his rig behind a big block. I think he paid something like $2800 for a used trans. For the combo of the motor and trans your probably looking around $6K-$8K.

Second hurdle your going to have is space and weight. That motor and trans probably wieghs 1500lbs+. The trans is huge... here is a pic of an allison sitting next to a 4l80e for size comparison..... good luck getting it to fit.

It would be a cool swap though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Amen

As long as this is near the top, yeah, the combo weighs a ton! The tranny alone weighs something like 420#, and I'd guess the engine is well over 800.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fueler said:
why not just go buy a chevy truck??
That's the other option...:flipoff2:

Maybe I ought to just live with the 350 and get a 4l80e?

:D

Thanks for the input, this is the reason I asked.

Oh and there's plenty of space for the Allison tranny, it's the engine I'm worried about.

Here's the combo I've got going now. 350, AA overdrive, SM465.

Anyone got any measurements of the Duramax/Allison combo?

Here's the buildup pics of the truck I'm considering doing the swap on.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Engine is about 38" wide, 28" long, and 36" high. That's from the top of the air intake plumbing to the bottom of the pan (can't see a good way to make it shorter), from the front of the pulleys (not the fan) to where I assume the block ends, and accessories still in place and included (but not including intercooler plumbing).
No Allison tranny, so I can't measure that.

·
Registered
893 Posts
are those toyota axles? if memory serves, the duramax/allison combination weighs 900# MORE than the gas 6.0 litre and automatic... my bet is you would be severly overloading that front axle.

i second the afformentioned idea. buy a 2002 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab, thats been smacked in the ass end, lose the bed, whack 30 inches out of the frame, swap in a front 60 and go to town.

this guy is selling a 2002 'alison' tranny for $800, http://www.midwestjeepthing.com/for...=Non-Jeep+Parts+Classifieds&replies=0&M=0&S=1 i dont know anything about it, just came across it while surfing..... dunno if its the same one.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Priest said:
The trans is huge... here is a pic of an allison sitting next to a 4l80e for size comparison..... good luck getting it to fit.

:eek: ive looked under those trucks to take a look at the size of that tranny but seeing one next to a TH400 really makes me do this:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: that thing is HUGE!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Priest said:

It would be a cool swap though.

Hey thats my Garage!:D

For size reference thats an '00 vortec 454 on the stand, '69 327, then the silver tranny is an '00 4l80e and the blue one is a '78 th400, then the '02 allison.

I can measure the allison if you need me to, it's still in that exact same spot... But like you said, you shouldn't have much problems fitting the tranny with an all new floor. I'm running a 454 so no duramax to measure.

I paid $1700 for the allison and it's NV263XHD t-case mated to it and the complete duramax/allison wiring harness.

If it were me I would be swapping in a 6 cylinder cummins and mate it to the allison. You can pick up the allison's computer and harness at a gm dealer or allison dealer for $800 or so and just get it flashed and your good to go. You can buy the bell housing for the allison to fit a cummins from the allison dealer, not sure on the cost though. The cummins is heavier though than the duramax. But you can't beat them.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
willyswanter said:

Hey thats my Garage!:D

For size reference thats an '00 vortec 454 on the stand, '69 327, then the silver tranny is an '00 4l80e and the blue one is a '78 th400, then the '02 allison.

I can measure the allison if you need me to, it's still in that exact same spot... But like you said, you shouldn't have much problems fitting the tranny with an all new floor. I'm running a 454 so no duramax to measure.

I paid $1700 for the allison and it's NV263XHD t-case mated to it and the complete duramax/allison wiring harness.

If it were me I would be swapping in a 6 cylinder cummins and mate it to the allison. You can pick up the allison's computer and harness at a gm dealer or allison dealer for $800 or so and just get it flashed and your good to go. You can buy the bell housing for the allison to fit a cummins from the allison dealer, not sure on the cost though. The cummins is heavier though than the duramax. But you can't beat them.

I guess I was thinking of the cost with the wiring and computer.

When are you going to start cutting your truck up to get that trans in there? Can't wait to see the end product.

PS. You get those big ass tires on yet?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nope, waiting on funds so I can order some of Johns 20" double beadlocks... Keep breaking other parts that keep stealing my money from me :)

The truck will probably be torn down in a few weeks as soon as school is over and I don't need it every day, 3 times a day, to get to school.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Woudl be expensive, heavy, time consuming, etc. etc.

Not a good motor by any means for a wheeler, but a sweet setup for a tow rig.

It would suit you better to do a Cummins 12 valve swap. :D

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
hell i am a big cummins fan, but i think the dmax would be a better swap than a cummins. it is way quiter and much lighter. the d max has aluminum heads and is not near as heavy and a cummins. i would put it in the 750 or lighter area. you can plug in a 100 hp chip and have all the power the allison can take stock. it would haulass in a lr. and the 5 speed auto would be sweet. mike

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
gunracer1 said:
hell i am a big cummins fan, but i think the dmax would be a better swap than a cummins. it is way quiter and much lighter. the d max has aluminum heads and is not near as heavy and a cummins. i would put it in the 750 or lighter area. you can plug in a 100 hp chip and have all the power the allison can take stock. it would haulass in a lr. and the 5 speed auto would be sweet. mike
True,

but the 12 valve cummins would be alot easier to swap, the duramax computer shiat must be insane. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts