Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not rockcrawler related but hopefully I can find some help over here. My wife has a 1999 durango with the big V8 (360?) and auto tranny. I know nothing about dodges. Anyways the durango has 70,000 miles and the tranny is starting to act weird. Almost like it has a shift kit in in. It wont shift until the revs go way up, then it will just stay there and then shift harchly into the next gear. Any idea what this might be??? I havent changed the fluid but when I check it it is full but has air bubbles on the stick. Any help here???

I rebuilt my C6 with pretty good results so I am mechanically inclined but know nothing about dodge trannys. Hopefully you guys can educate me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
welcome to the world of late model dodge autos... you may want to try a thorough tune up first, fluid, flush, filter, adjust bands, etc. i've seen alot of ram transmissions right themselves after some good attention. other than that, i can't really direct you... i hate slushboxes so i've never messed with them much.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
There is some tranny shop, who was just in one of the big mags, that specializes in cummins dodge transmissions. I would give them a call.. or jet does those transmissions, or since it is your wifes vehicle, you can do what i did, and get a mopar performance rebuilt transmission :flipoff2:

Do the flush, see if it helps. My torque converter died, and the number of metal shavings in the tranny killed the clutch packs.
Any chance that it doesent shift into reverse or drive without hitting the gas?

Garrett

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shifts into gear or reverse just fine. It is shifting between gears that needs work. Almost like the bands need adjusting. Can I do this on this tranny or is everything electric?

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
bands i believe can be adjusted yourself, but honestly, it is worth it in my mind to jus take it to the shop and have them give it a try, at $100, compared to a $2400 transmission, it is worth it.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
That's exactly how mine behave the last 2 miles before it grenaded at 92K miles!!...:eek:

My overdrive gear literally turned to dust. Of course those dust particles hosed my clutch packs and the pump. It basically shifted (on it's own) down to 3rd and then overheated.

I pulled over and called a friend with a flat bed trailer and dually truck.

Of course your may not be that bad....

There are two cheap easy things to check that affect both the harshness and shift point: 1) TV (throttle valve) cable adjustment and 2) faulty TPS (Throttle positioning sensor.

Like the mentioned service (flush and band adjustment) another internal thing that's could be causing the problem is a bad pressure governor. I've ~heard~ of other Dodge owners having that replace - not too bad.

HTH

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SolidAxleDurango said:
That's exactly how mine behave the last 2 miles before it grenaded at 92K miles!!...:eek:

HTH
Boy I feel better already! :D Really though, thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
huh, i guess when you have 3.55 gears and <33" tires.. you dont have an overdrive worn problem.. when mine was pulled, the OD looked brand new. You sat it next to the rest of the tranny parts and you would have sworn it was out of another transmission.

Garrett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts