Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some reliable info on DI and DII ignition modules.

I want to run a DII module and have been told they DO NOT have to have a resister wire used with them, however, every diagram on the net and those in the repair books show a resister in the wiring. So do or don't they?

Also I am having a great deal of difficulty finding a DII module. I was informed that they have a slightly different shaped plug than the DI's so that they can't be plugged into each others system, even though the wiring is coded the same. Looking at the parts yard, several parts sites, and the Motorcraft site I find the same module listed and in vehicles, no matter the application (I or II), and there appears to be no difference in plugs (other than the altitude models).

I've already got two new modules (blue grommetted) that are suppose to be for DII, but they they look the same as the DI I have and when plugged in without a resister start getting hot after about 10 minutes of run time.

So here's what I am really after, a DII module that can be plugged/wired into a DI system with a TFI coil and no resister (if that really is possible).

BMB

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
just use a complete DII setup, they are a dime a dozen in the JY's just about any 70's and 80's ford will have it...

also, you don't need the ballast resistor in there..
does this help?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
becareful what you pick your duraspark system from, i have a 83 F250 that came with the D3 system, what a pain in the ass. I have sense converted it to a D2, now I'm much happier with it:p

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've had good luck running a Mopar module (Standard Motor Products LX101) wired in per Dr. Chris Jacobs' book: The Doctor's guide to ignitions.......Hans

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
It knocks the run voltage down to about 9 volts.
some people claim it will kill the coil running it at 12 volts all the time, but I've never seen it

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Jrod-13 said:
It knocks the run voltage down to about 9 volts.
some people claim it will kill the coil running it at 12 volts all the time, but I've never seen it
Like I said in my earlier post, I run a Mopar module well, awhile back I bypassed my ballast resistor coming home from a wheeling trip and I fried my coil, it was running really good up to that point (good thing I had a spare :eek: ). It all depends on the coil you're running. Back in my VW days I used to run a Bosch "Blue" coil and it didn't require a resistor, when I stepped up to the "Red" coil :smokin: an external ballast resistor was mandatory.........Hans

1 - 10 of 10 Posts