Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am working on a trip for later this year. It will involve a large number of people. Lots of experienced wheeler and possibly lots of people that don't camp. It will be a 3 day trip with most people coming from SoCal.

I can't decide if Dusy or Rubicon is better.

Thoughts or other suggestions?

Edit: not too much going on during the weekend in question.

·
16,230 Posts
What's the dates? And exactly how many people?

If it's a "busy" weekend on the Con you may want to Do Dusy. Check the calender in the Rubicon forum.

I have never done Dusy, but i have heard it's:

1. Long

2. Has some terrible wash-board sections that go for quite some ways.

3. No too hairy.

·
Rolling Mod
41,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the dates? And exactly how many people?

If it's a "busy" weekend on the Con you may want to Do Dusy. Check the calender in the Rubicon forum.

I have never done Dusy, but i have heard it's:

1. Long

2. Has some terrible wash-board sections that go for quite some ways.

3. No too hairy.

Done both.

Dusy is long, and an awesome 5-7 day trip. Ok in 3 days.

There are some long smooth dirt sections. Washboard, not so much.

Yep, fairly easy.

Also I don't fish, but the fishing and hiking are awesome. I have gone and not seen more than 2 people for days.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Dusy hands down. Granted,with only 3 days it kind of brings on the suck. With a little bit of vehicle carnage it can be a race to get out by day 3.

I'd venture to say that the majority of people that wheel the Rubicon will never set a tire on the Dusy. Think of how many in your prospective group might hit either the Rubicon or the Dusy at a later time.

·
Rolling Mod
41,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the wheelers have done Rubicon, most have not done Dusy.

The newbs have done neither. I keep thinking that the newb's will be able to say they did the 'con if nothing else.

If the dirtbikers come I think Dusy will be better also...probably.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I would say Dusy, although like others said, 3 days is pretty short to really enjoy that trail. Its very pristine and scenic with few others out there to slow you down. If you are worried about the less experienced wheelers, you can run it north to south and so that Thompson Hill won't slow the big group down much. As was mentioned, there is a good chance most people will get to run the Con someday, but not very many people get the opportunity to run Dusy.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
With all the new rules on the Rubicon................ I'd go to the Dusy.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
So I am working on a trip for later this year. It will involve a large number of people. Lots of experienced wheeler and possibly lots of people that don't camp. It will be a 3 day trip with most people coming from SoCal.

I ran both last year. The Dusy is a great trail as others have said for scenic beauty and great wheeling. We ran it in 3 1/2 days and that was pushing it a little. Sorry but I don't understand the above about "don't camp". Either trail is going to require at least 1 night of camping with Dusy at least 2, maybe 3 nights.
The Rubicon is an awesome trail and also a blast but definitely more crowded than Dusy. When we ran Dusy last year we only ran into 10 other rigs the whole time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have run the Rubicon a few times but never the Dusy. If time is a big factor, 3 days are better spent on the Rubicon. I am curious to run it though, but I will probably run it with a less modified rig, I dont think its as intense as the Rubicon, it may be uncofortable to be in a small modified rig for that long

·
Registered
214 Posts
Swamp Lake. Just as good as Dusy but can be done in 1 day but best done over 2.

·
Rolling Mod
41,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I ran both last year. The Dusy is a great trail as others have said for scenic beauty and great wheeling. We ran it in 3 1/2 days and that was pushing it a little. Sorry but I don't understand the above about "don't camp". Either trail is going to require at least 1 night of camping with Dusy at least 2, maybe 3 nights.
The Rubicon is an awesome trail and also a blast but definitely more crowded than Dusy. When we ran Dusy last year we only ran into 10 other rigs the whole time.
Some of the group are not frequent campers. Did it in college, but not much since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did the dusy in 3 days but could not enjoy the trail. We spent way to much time driving. But another option is you can make trip from Kaiser pass into Ershem lake, camp a night and come back out. Great views from the "top of the world" right off the get go, with good camping and fishing at the lake.

·
Rolling Mod
41,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the dusy in 3 days but could not enjoy the trail. We spent way to much time driving. But another option is you can make trip from Kaiser pass into Ershem lake, camp a night and come back out. Great views from the "top of the world" right off the get go, with good camping and fishing at the lake.
I have done that a few times. My idea of heaven is Mallard lake. (and I don't even fish)

At this point we may take my RV to the shaver area and do all the little trails over a couple of days (swamp, redlakes, mirror, coyote, bald and swamp) the only one I have not done all of is swamp. I have only done half because a friends CJ broke many years ago...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have done that a few times. My idea of heaven is Mallard lake. (and I don't even fish)

At this point we may take my RV to the shaver area and do all the little trails over a couple of days (swamp, redlakes, mirror, coyote, bald and swamp) the only one I have not done all of is swamp. I have only done half because a friends CJ broke many years ago...
If you want to do swamp, join us for high sierra poker run. It is a cal4wheel event over labor day weekend.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Swamp Lake...... Dusy Ershim is long and camping for a large group is pretty tight with the exception of Thompson Lake area.... From personal experience with the Rubicon, Dusy and Swamp Lake I'll say "hands down" that Dusy is the most isolated................ your on your own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts