Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to take my Ford out for a small trip this weekend, try out the 42s, and well...It seems to have the DW from hell.

My first question is: Will a 5psi difference in 42" TSL's cause *Some* DW?

Also, it does not look like the alignment is off, everything is tight... Might have had some air in the power steering, would that cause it?

It was so bad... Once I got up to 10mph it started wobbling and bouncing around REALLY bad, I thought the power steering box broke off or something...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I had 35's on there which I pulled and sold, bought the 42's, did a power steering swap while I waited for the 42's.... Then I took it for a spin and found this problem. I was wondering if maybe having some air in the power steering line/box would cause this? After I evened the air in the back to 20psi it didn't wobble as bad, but then the front broke loose and started wobbling REALLY bad.

Does it sound like it could be the alignment? It looks straight to me, but I can try to align it better...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
More than likely its something to do with the tires but the power streering pump would be blown or whining like crazy with air in the lines.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the tires off, and put on some old worn 33's... No more DW. It still rode rough, but they were 4 different brand/type tires, some had air and others were almost flat...lol. But anyway, I guess the tires are the culprit!

When I took them off, I noticed half of the weights on the tires had fallen off. I'm going to take them to the shop tomorrow and ask them to either re-balance them and put better glue stuff on the weights so they don't come off again, or replace them with some that will balance out a little easier. I know it is a big tire, and a TSL so it won't ride perfect, but I also know that some people are running them with little to no issue on the road, so if they can I should be able to..

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I took the tires off, and put on some old worn 33's... No more DW. It still rode rough, but they were 4 different brand/type tires, some had air and others were almost flat...lol. But anyway, I guess the tires are the culprit!

When I took them off, I noticed half of the weights on the tires had fallen off. I'm going to take them to the shop tomorrow and ask them to either re-balance them and put better glue stuff on the weights so they don't come off again, or replace them with some that will balance out a little easier. I know it is a big tire, and a TSL so it won't ride perfect, but I also know that some people are running them with little to no issue on the road, so if they can I should be able to..
Take them to a large truck tire place, they balance them differently. These big tires should not be balanced with weights.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Do a search around for Air Soft balancing, or Golfball balancing.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Do a search around for Air Soft balancing, or Golfball balancing.
Again do it right.

I just got mine done and can bring my shit up to 85 with no vibes at all. (only stopped there cause of the skating feeling these tires give)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to Advantage tire, where i bought them... They said to drive it for a few miles to get them warmed up and the flat spots out. After a few miles it started to get smoother, and by the time I got to town and back it was pretty dam smooth.

SO HAPPY..

Thanks guys,

-Dallas

·
Registered
299 Posts
ya they take while to round out because they have such a soft sidewall

my friends truck has 44 swampers and it gets major wobble around 50km, punch the gas and get it up to 80km and no wobble. You might notice it with your truck after driving it for awhile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts