Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,627 Posts
CSP said:

I honestly believe though that most people who really want the diesel will purchase one no matter what the additional cost is.
Agreed. If you want a diesel then get a diesel. Frankly I would love to have one but my V10 gets driven every couple of weeks or so (I put on just under 6000 in 10 months and that includes going to Colorado on vacation one time) so it is just not cost effective for me to have a forty some thousand dollar vehicle sitting in my shop. Getting one (diesel) for the fuel economy simply is NOT justifiable if you are ONLY considering mpg. There are MORE variables to consider, as David said.

· Registered
3,627 Posts
EMIEVEL said:
I agree with DRM about all the false claims of MPG and CPM. I'm not very good at numbers but I know my V10 Ford gets 7.5 to 9 MPG when I'm towing my big goose.
When I budget for a trip, I figure about $.05 per mile for all fluid changes, all filter changes, tire wear, brakes, and tune ups; but not MPG. Is this figure way off base? How do I figure in hard parts like water pumps or transmissions and things like that?
I don't know how to figure in depreciation. I paid $20,700 for the truck in November 2001, when it had 38,000 miles; now it has 153,400 miles. Do I figure in the amount of money I make with it? I deliver cars and bikes with it.
(1999 Super Duty Crew Cab V10 Dually)

On the other hand, I drove my friend's Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummins TD, and I was amazed that it got an honost 21 MPG, empty, for 648 miles at 65-70 MPH. He has done a lot of work to it, as he is a diesel mechanic for a Dodge dealer. I was thinking the fuel savings alone would make the monthly payments. I drive about 9,000 to 10,000 miles a month. From an accountant's perspective, do you think the fuel savings alone is reason to buy a new diesel truck?

Thanks for any help...I am REALLY struggling with this. I not very good with decisions like this.
Read this post It may help you decide. Look about 1/3 of the way down at DRMs post. I think it has the info you are looking for.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66089

· Registered
3,627 Posts
hoehand said:
In my opinion the entire arguement is crazy. Even if you drive 25,000 miles a year, you are only going to save appx $900 dollars a year in fuel, and if you are buying a 40,000 vehicle, why even worry. You can get that back in resale. Therefore it becomes a question of preference. And by the way, for $4000 in mods you could have almost 500 horses at the rear wheels on a cummins, reliably.
Read the thread from the start. There is more to consider than the cost of fuel. Oh, and get a FORD!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.