Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
FYRMAN said:
yup... Same as your V10, with twice the fuel milage under load!:flipoff2:
Add in the mods he mad and re-calculate the COST PER MILE taking into acount more than just fuel costs there buddy ;)

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
MattS said:
WRONG! Traded in my brothers 2001 RAM CTD with a 4 inch BD exhaust, Power Edge COMP 5x5 chip, EGT and boost gauges and the dealer gave me 85% of the total of the mods and added it to the trade in value. They knew a modded truck would sell better and it did. Sat on their lot for 3, yes THREE days. ;)

Maybe you FAILED accounting classes, but you can't calculate TODAY's cost per mile by figuring in TOMORROW's resale price :p

All I said was add those mods into cost per mile - that cost being calculated as every $$$ you have spent on the truck for fuel, performance, or maintenance to date, then divide by the total number of miles you have driven to date. You can't figure in the re-sale price until the vehicle is sold... THEN it can be deducted from the total cost and the cost per mile re-calculated...

:p

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
MattS said:

That's pretty retarded IMO. The upgrades need to be considered part of the cost of the truck not monthy usage expenses. Gas, oil changes are spent and don't hold a value once used. Mods and upgrades go to total vehicle cost.

I don't see you factoring in payment anywhere, or if I wrote a check for it do I just have one really bad month per mile and then it's all gravy from there? :confused:
Cost Per Mile is just that - COST PER MILE.

When you took that truck to the dealership, did you know he was gonna pro-rate the upgrades? Did you know at what rate they would be pro-rated? No, so any math you did BEFORE the sale would be a GUESS.

Are you saying fuel costs should not be included in CPM calculations? You are on crack :p

You have to figure in oil changes, fuel, and any other COST you incurred to operate the vehicle... otherwise - whatever CPM figure you come up with DOES NOT REFLECT ACTUAL COST :p

True - the only number that would not change would have to be figured AFTER the truck is sold or retired. But a running CPM figure has to include ALL costs.

The idea would be to compare apples to apples - and if you know a diesel costs 2x what it costs to do an oil change on a gasser, then OF COURSE that should be included in CPM. See what I mean?

Payments is a tricky thing - and really don;t have to be broken down that far. Since you would then have to account for different loan periods, interest rates, etc. - you can't get that "apples to apples" comparison. So the best thing there is to just figure in the total purchase price of the truck, then deduct the total sale price later when it sells. That is the "cleanest" way to get a good idea of both cost, and resale value.

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
CSP said:

I am and accountant and I'll tell you that you don't add modifications in when figuring out operating costs. They are a part of the asset cost, not a part of the cost of operating it.

Of course I know where you're taking this DRM. Another attempt to sway us all away from those damn expensive, smoke belching diesels.:flipoff2: Just had to bring true accounting terms into the debate since you brought it up.:D

If they are a part of the asset cost they still have to be added in there as a COST - so it doesn't really matter. The point is - they have to be included.

Otherwise - you get skewed end results when you claim your PSD gets 22 mpg, and a CPM of $xx.xx when you did not add in the $4000 in aftermarket parts that brought your mpg. up that high.

And no - it is not a way to sway anyone :p I just want to see honest comparisons for people to make their own mind up. I have nothing against PSD's - will probably own one sooner or later myself...

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
gunracer1 said:
i drive 50ka year, there is no comparison.
When I did the math for myself, generally anything over 25k a year makes the diesel a better choice.

And again - the odd thing is here in Mddle TN low grade gas and diesel are the same price - so no savings there.

I will say the V10 is WAY too much fun to drive, and you do tend to keep your foot in it (Sounds like a modded PSD is about the same way ;)

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
DSI said:

7 1/2 months, and 30k on the clock...

the V10's stock exhaust around 4k and a straight piped PSD around 2k sound fairly close as far as the growl, but the diesel is a hell of alot louder :D
With 2 sleeping kids in the back seat - I will take quieter (guess I am just getting old :p )

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
MattS shot me a link a few days ago to some guy with a new Dodge diesel who was getting like 7.3 avg. over a rather lengthy towing trip with a gooseneck and fullsize truck on the trailer... Ouch :eek:

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
lol - I thought *all* you diesel guys were getting like 30 mpg? ;)

The wide range of mpg reports doesn't surprise me - in my informal requests over the years diesel mileage seems to be ALL over the place... from good, to MISERABLE...

· Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
fj40charles said:
I don't remember anyone saying we get 30 mpg. We do get better mileage while towing and can tow without having to slow down on hills/mountains.
Sarcasm might as well be a pretty flower on the east slopes of a Tibetan mountain as far as you are concerned, am I right? :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.