Pirate 4x4 banner

dyno'd my PSD today

2K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  Haole 
#1 ·
the northwest powerstroker's had there quarterly dyno run today, i managed to lay down a humble 303hp and 647ft/lb of tq at the rear wheels :D

withe 3.73 gears, 315/75/16 tires on winterblend fuel :D

i've got a 100hp diablo sport chip installed now, and towed a 72 chevy pickup about 60 miles with it in yesterday, and never had EGT reading's over 800, and that was burying my foot in it for extended times :D i know it's getting plenty of fuel, she blows enough black smoke to be in a james bond flick :D

i've got the VDH series computer and htey're know for running cooler than alot of others ;)

#27 ·
Its not about the dime, its about boostin that turbo before you hit that hill and accelerating all the way up WITHOUT downshifting....makes the long hauls more enjoyable.

My gasser had to downshigt alltogether too much.

Its also about the awesome aroma that an oil burner emits :flipoff2:

#29 ·
gunracer1 said:
i drive 50ka year, there is no comparison.
When I did the math for myself, generally anything over 25k a year makes the diesel a better choice.

And again - the odd thing is here in Mddle TN low grade gas and diesel are the same price - so no savings there.

I will say the V10 is WAY too much fun to drive, and you do tend to keep your foot in it (Sounds like a modded PSD is about the same way ;)

#31 ·
DRM said:

When I did the math for myself, generally anything over 25k a year makes the diesel a better choice.

And again - the odd thing is here in Mddle TN low grade gas and diesel are the same price - so no savings there.

I will say the V10 is WAY too much fun to drive, and you do tend to keep your foot in it (Sounds like a modded PSD is about the same way ;)

7 1/2 months, and 30k on the clock...

the V10's stock exhaust around 4k and a straight piped PSD around 2k sound fairly close as far as the growl, but the diesel is a hell of alot louder :D

#32 ·
DSI said:

7 1/2 months, and 30k on the clock...

the V10's stock exhaust around 4k and a straight piped PSD around 2k sound fairly close as far as the growl, but the diesel is a hell of alot louder :D
With 2 sleeping kids in the back seat - I will take quieter (guess I am just getting old :p )

#34 ·
DRM said:

With 2 sleeping kids in the back seat - I will take quieter (guess I am just getting old :p )
You can't make that judgement until you have had kids asleep in the backseat. Like Dave says, it's like "white noise". It's a low hum that helps to block out all other noise. You do end up wanting to fall asleep.

#38 ·
InfantryYJ said:

Aww c'mon Davey,....just throw in a DVD, put the headphones on the kids, and let them watch Scooby Doo,.....oops,...I forgot,....you don't have a DVD in your truck:flipoff2: ;) :flipoff2:

i got the 7in flat screen... but no DVD player... the PS2 works damn good for that issue :D

#41 · (Edited)
I'd still own a diesel over a gasser if you're going to tow. I never have to slow down on the hills and always pass cars going uphill while I'm towing. 324 HP at the rear wheels (confirmed with dyno run) is what I drive everyday on the lowest power setting. I'm not crazy like that *******, Gunracer1.

Charles

#42 · (Edited)
In my opinion the entire arguement is crazy. Even if you drive 25,000 miles a year, you are only going to save appx $900 dollars a year in fuel, and if you are buying a 40,000 vehicle, why even worry. You can get that back in resale. Therefore it becomes a question of preference. And by the way, for $4000 in mods you could have almost 500 horses at the rear wheels on a cummins, reliably.

#43 ·
hoehand said:
In my opinion the entire arguement is crazy. Even if you drive 25,000 miles a year, you are only going to save appx $900 dollars a year in fuel, and if you are buying a 40,000 vehicle, why even worry. You can get that back in resale. Therefore it becomes a question of preference. And by the way, for $4000 in mods you could have almost 500 horses at the rear wheels on a cummins, reliably.
Read the thread from the start. There is more to consider than the cost of fuel. Oh, and get a FORD!

#44 ·
DRM said:

Add in the mods he mad and re-calculate the COST PER MILE taking into acount more than just fuel costs there buddy ;)
I bought the PSD because of the range, not a low cost per mile.

DSI said:

i get almost double what my V10 did now that i'm up around 30k on teh truck... but the first 10k i was pissed it didn't get any better than the V10!
DSI, it took 10K for your mileage to go up? I heard it was about 5K. But since I've past that mark, I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer... :mad:

#45 ·
eurobob said:
DSI, it took 10K for your mileage to go up? I heard it was about 5K. But since I've past that mark, I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer... :mad:
Lots of factors involved. How much you have been towing, the motor you got(some are just tighter than others), the weight you tow (how hard your working the motor). My brothers truck was broke in at 3000 miles. But he tows 5500 pounds every day all day long.

#47 ·
MattS shot me a link a few days ago to some guy with a new Dodge diesel who was getting like 7.3 avg. over a rather lengthy towing trip with a gooseneck and fullsize truck on the trailer... Ouch :eek:

#48 ·
DRM said:
MattS shot me a link a few days ago to some guy with a new Dodge diesel who was getting like 7.3 avg. over a rather lengthy towing trip with a gooseneck and fullsize truck on the trailer... Ouch :eek:
I towed my 28 foot gooseneck (4850 #'s) with a 3800 # car on it 150 miles this weekend and got 13.6 mpg. But I'm only getting about 15.5 daily driving. But some people are getting in the low 20's with less miles that me. :mad: My buddy with a 2000 CTD with over 220,000 miles is getting 23 mpg on his daily commute to work. :confused:

I can't figure out why the number are all over the place.

#50 ·
lol - I thought *all* you diesel guys were getting like 30 mpg? ;)

The wide range of mpg reports doesn't surprise me - in my informal requests over the years diesel mileage seems to be ALL over the place... from good, to MISERABLE...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.