1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My front Elocker hasn't been working.
This is what I found.
elocker 025.jpg

Here are all of the components of the Elocker actuator, after cleaning.
elocker 033.jpg

Start by installing the springs and brushes. I used small tie straps to hold the brushes in.
elocker 037.jpg

Armature installed.
elocker 041.jpg

There is a small disc that goes into the electrical housing. Attach motor cover. It is pinned and can only go on one way.
elocker 039a.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gear and spring. The washer goes between the two.
elocker 043.jpg

Apply grease to the spring. Push the shaft to the side so you can apply as much grease as possible to part of the spring that touches itself. I cycled mine with 2 pairs of channel/locks to be sure.
elocker 045.jpg

Thin coat of grease on the contact side.
elocker 046.jpg

Position the tang of the gear approximately 180* out from the lump on the cover. The timing will be taken care of later by cycling the actuator out of the differential.
elocker 050.jpg

Install cover with gear and spring attached. Install outer drive gear and e clip.
elocker 055.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Connect the Elocker actuator to the 5 pin harness and engage to the "lock" position.

You will now need to manually engage the locker. Jack up one side of the axle and move the fork to the inside into the locked positiion. Rocking the suspended wheel back and forth will make this easier.
elocker 064.jpg

Reinstall actuator assembly.

Front.
elocker 072.jpg

Rear.
elocker 075.jpg

While I was at it I upgraded my switches to Carlings.
elocker 107.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is the factory grease used in the locker. I used this throughout the rebuild on everything that moves. I also used it on the 2 o-rings that seal the assembly.
elocker 058.jpg

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
good job
not sure what that greese is, but on electrical contacts, use a clear dielectric silicon greese, it is on the contacts inside of good quailty switches, Totota & CARLING switches use it as do others

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the compliments. I searched Pirate and google for a good write-up and didn't find much. As far as the grease I used, both of my lockers had it in them, including the contact plate. See my first picture. Just be sure not to get it on the armature or brushes. I figure if it's good enough for Toyota, it's good enough for me.

The lockers are working perfectly and I'll post up after after a few runs with an update.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
A little more related tech- If you open up the motor case and see broken peices of magnet, dont panic. Just clean it out and put the magnet back together like a puzzle with high quality CA super glue. (this is an old R/C motor trick) Try to line up the seams and press everything together so there are no gaps, less is more when it comes to the super glue. If you are having a hard time controlling the glue coming out of the bottle tip, put a blob of glue on a penny and use an x-acto knife to apply it in little spots.

·
Registered
69 Posts
been trying to source the o ring/seals for the e locker, toyota claims they cant get em...... :shaking:

anybody know a good source other than toyota?
just use a bulk o-ring:smokin:

nice writeup! this happened to my rear e-locker did the same as you now it works fine:smokin:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Go to your local transmission guy :) we have all the good and weird o-rings.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts