Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I hav a 94 samurai 1.6efi 8v. Manual. 6.5 tcase. Yj springs. In process of toyota axle swap. Original plan welded rear. Detroit ez front. Fj60 box. Tc pump. High steer. Was curious if anyone has installed elocker in the front axle. Clearance is limited to say the least. I've already moved perchs in to match zuk spring width using sky kit. So space is even more limited. I scored this e locker out of a '02 4runner for free so it has changed my plans a bit. I kno i can retro fit for the rear pretty simple. But i wuld like selectable in the front if at all possible. Any thots or suggestions wuld b much appreciated! I've searched and havnt found a whole lot on this so far. Btw....avid reader, first time poster! Thx again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
E-locker

Old post but I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? I'm in the same boat, My e-locker looks like it will come very close to the Sky Toyota axle leaf spring plate and I'm not sure if the motor will clear, I hate to modify the housing only to find out it won't fit, surely I'm not the only one to do this, Any feedback will help. Thanks Bub

·
Registered
993 Posts
The front elocker in the FJ80's is a high pinion AND it has the locker motor on the opposite side of the 3rd member for this reason.

I think you'll end up regretting making that swap to the front axle...just my .02

·
Registered
27 Posts
I already have the e-locker and a high pinion e-locker will run about the same price as a ARB locker, If it'll fit then game on, if not, I'm stumped

·
Registered
430 Posts
Anybody got any advice or photos on how to get an early Toyota pick-up front axle with an e-locker to fit under a Samurai on YJ leaves ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, you have to countersink one of the bolt holes for the e-locker mechanism, I believe it is the piece that bolts on that covers up the shift Fork? Get a carbide countersink bit for metal, and countersink that hole, and get a countersunk head style allen head bolt for it. then you will need to cut / grind some clearance into the spoa spring perch, and maybe move that rear inside leaf spring bolt slightly.

I'm looking at getting a high pinion E-Locker myself, and also have an 85 front Toyota axle on my Samurai with a full floater rear Sky Mfg Toyota - Samurai setup (cut down modified T100 rear axle with full floater conversion, setup for Samurai offset).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah, you have to countersink one of the bolt holes for the e-locker mechanism, I believe it is the piece that bolts on that covers up the shift Fork? Get a carbide countersink bit for metal, and countersink that hole, and get a countersunk head style allen head bolt for it. then you will need to cut / grind some clearance into the spoa spring perch, and maybe move that rear inside leaf spring bolt slightly.

I'm looking at getting a high pinion E-Locker myself, and also have an 85 front Toyota axle on my Samurai with a full floater rear Sky Mfg Toyota - Samurai setup (cut down modified T100 rear axle with full floater conversion, setup for Samurai offset).
I had to do that on my 4Runner with the Tacoma e-locker up front. There is no way there is room to do it on the Samurai. I have the Sky's kit on my front axle and I can't see any room for the motor.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I can't believe people still go through all the trouble to use these pos diffs. I ran one for a while and it was a constant problem. Worked normal for maybe a few months. I ended up constantly manually switching it until I broke the weak ass side gear on 35s. Just get an ARB or deal with the quirks of an auto locker rather than fucking up your housing and spending the money twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts