Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an E450 4x4 class c motorhome. It’s got nothing on the front for extraction. It looks like most “universal fit” recovery points bolt on to the frame horns on the bottom where the spring perches have been welded.

Could I bolt to the bumper mount with the bolts (grade 8) in tension? Does someone make a part that fits or is it going to be custom fabrication?

Other ideas?
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rim Gas

·
Registered
369 Posts
I guess it is too late to redo the front suspension the correct way, I can't believe it is basically tack welded to the folding frame.

At this point, I would remove the factory face plate (I think that is the term) they welded to the frame. Then replace it with a bumper of at least 5/16 - 3/8 steel with attachment points running down the outside of the frame rails beyond the accordion, then a plate over the top of the frame rail for an additional attachment.

A 6x6 piece of tubing would give you enough space for a 10k winch. Your vehicle is probably well over 10,000#, so, I would skip a pintle ball set up or those 10k normal tow hooks (they will unbend) and go with a real pintle hood (no ball) rated for 10T or a pintle hook/ball combo, with bolted on lunettes in front of each frame rail for real pulling and for attaching blocks and pulleys.

plate over the top of the frame rail
Like in this picture of my recent bumper

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Then you can take the time and effort to install grill and headlamp guards so hitting a moose at 55 mph does not total the rare vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up an E450 4x4 class c motorhome. It’s got nothing on the front for extraction. It looks like most “universal fit” recovery points bolt on to the frame horns on the bottom where the spring snaptube vidmate perches have been welded.

Could I bolt to the bumper mount with the bolts (grade 8) in tension? Does someone make a part that fits or is it going to be custom fabrication?

Other ideas?
if it's a custom fab , try to take it to a professional garage to have the best results

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m feeling less urgent about getting this done before my November Baja trip, so I’ll get it fabbed up this winter.

The front spring mounts also keep me from using an off the shelf front hitch, so I’ll work on that too. Since I’m not pressed for time, I might try the fabrication myself. I’ve got a Hobart 210, so I have the capacity and if I take my time I think I have the ability. I mean, that’s why I bought the welder, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts