Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help.. I just don't quite understand the whole Oil filter, Air Filter, etc that are on my 64.. Anyone have a really old FSM to copy to share or plain sell? I am going thru the wiring right now and can't seem to find where the oil pressah sending unit is for the block.

Chef got his 64 V8 45 Wagon running so I had to buck up and get my 64 Shorty 45 running.. She's breathing but not well yet. .

So.. What's the proper procedure on the oil bath air filter, and the procedure for the oil filter cleaning etc. This stuff probably won't last forever under the hood but I'd like to at least drive it a bit before I change it around to newer stuff. WHy not drive it stock this summer? :)
Please save me from myself and help me do the basic maint and wiring to actually drive this stocker around..

Chef's working on getting brake stuff.. Not that I wanna do any maint on the drums but for now, I guess I'll have to till I do the massive, lets go modern route with Disks and change brake lines and hoses thru the whole truck.

My list of help for this post are--
1. Air filter cleaning procedure and maint
2. Oil filter cleaning and maint procedure
3. Wiring of sending unit on block for oil pressah
4. FSM share or buy
5. Will temp guage in dash on a 64 interchange with a later one? Mine's spiked and stuck at Hot cause someone prior grounded the sending wire and killed the guage..
6. Light switch? What position is what? I think it's all the way left is off, next click is park?
7. Turn signals? Key probably has to be on?
8. Ignition? Which position is which? Is there an accessory? If so for what? It has no accessories! Doesn't even have a heater!

Don't laugh too hard at me here! I just wanna get her rolling to have a bit of fun before starting the whole Tear it down and rebuild. Would rather wait till winter to start the rebuild of the drivetrain with modern stuff..

Thanks for any and all help! Gotta try and keep up with Chef!:D :D

· Registered
4,268 Posts
I have an owners manual and FSM that I can scan the stuff you need from for the oil and air cleaner.

headlight switch. Iknow it seem like an odd set up but its suppose to be odd. From the top of my head....

far left(2nd click) is headlights, taillights, lic plate light but NO bib lights. 1st click to the left is bib lights, taillights and lic plate light. Far right is rear lights and lic plate lights(must be for convoy use)

so when the headlights are on the bib lights are off. Me, I didn't like this so I ran a jumper wire on the back of the switch so that the bib lights come on when the headlights are on.

Key needs to be on for the turn signals(I think) They are not self cancelling.

key, far right is start, 2nd right is run, no ACC.......that I recall.

temp sender at least changed at some point, prolly the temp guage.

Oil presure is just one wire on the sender, normal female spade fits the post.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pimp wrote
--far left(2nd click) is headlights, taillights, lic plate light but NO bib lights. 1st click to the left is bib lights, taillights and lic plate light. Far right is rear lights and lic plate lights(must be for convoy use)

so when the headlights are on the bib lights are off. Me, I didn't like this so I ran a jumper wire on the back of the switch so that the bib lights come on when the headlights are on.
---
So from left to right? lemme see If I can get this straight..
Far left is ----------Headlight/tail/License plate/no bib lights
second from left--Bib/Tail/License (basically park lights?)
third click from left-- Off?
fourth click from left-- Rear lights and license plate light

Now that's strange.. Darn glad I asked on that one! No wonder I was having problems trying to figure that out! Was there a round template behind the switch that said stuff like park/Convoy/headlights etc? or was it just guess and figure it out?
Pimp scans would be awesome if possible. Have anything that states wiring schematic in that FSM? It's pretty much all there but tailight wiring harness is lying under the truck right now.

As normal.. You are da man I would have never in my life figured out the headlight swith !

65fj45 I'll get on the fiche asap.. Thanks for the link.. I think Fiche can be purchased from the dealer still.

· Registered
4,268 Posts
Yep, ya got it :) I know I would have figured it was a PO hack job if I didn't have others to compare or the owners manual to look at, but yep that right. and no there was no instuctions on the dash to tell ya.............

Yeah pretty sure the wireing diagram is in the FSM

If you buy an FSM, look for a real one, not a reprint from Toyota, the reprints are not the same, the originals have the body dimmensions in them, the repos don't.

I'll work on some stuff for you this week, hit me off line with your email address.

oh and DONT pay $25 for the fisch, get your dealer to ordered it for you, any fische is $8-10. If you cant find a dealer to help you let me know and I'll get it for you. the 1960s stuff, had a set for each year, the latter stuff covers numerous years.

John H

tornadoalleycruiser said:
pimp wrote
--far left(2nd click) is headlights, taillights, lic plate light but NO bib lights. 1st click to the left is bib lights, taillights and lic plate light. Far right is rear lights and lic plate lights(must be for convoy use)

---
So from left to right? lemme see If I can get this straight..
Far left is ----------Headlight/tail/License plate/no bib lights
second from left--Bib/Tail/License (basically park lights?)
third click from left-- Off?
fourth click from left-- Rear lights and license plate light

Now that's strange.. Darn glad I asked on that one! No wonder I was having problems trying to figure that out! Was there a round template behind the switch that said stuff like park/Convoy/headlights etc? or was it just guess and figure it out?
Pimp scans would be awesome if possible. Have anything that states wiring schematic in that FSM? It's pretty much all there but tailight wiring harness is lying under the truck right now.

As normal.. You are da man I would have never in my life figured out the headlight swith !

65fj45 I'll get on the fiche asap.. Thanks for the link.. I think Fiche can be purchased from the dealer still.

· Desert Rat
3,727 Posts
On the headlight thing, I have one wired each way. The swb I restored myself without the benefit of another to look at has first click to the left for markers, second click to the left for headlights.

On the lwb, which I assumed had not been tampered with, first click to the left gives headlights, second click for markers. I was gonna get around to rewiring the swb to match the lwb figuring that this was THE correct way to go. Now I think I'll see who else chimes in on this one! As Ralph Waldo Emerson liked to say, ' I prefer inaction to wrong action!'

FYI oil sender wire comes out of the drivers side cowl loom just before the voltage regulator wire. Sending unit is drivers side, about 3 inches up from the oil pan on the raised horizontal rib in the block (oil galley) just behind the exhaust pipe and about 4" back of the oil pressure regulator.

· Registered
517 Posts
You should get the pre '66 engine manual, it shows the engine electricals. Snag this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...4233&item=2470091598&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT

Oil bath air cleaner: Take it off and flush it with your favorite degreaser. There is a fill line on the body of the filter (carb side I think). Pour in 10/30, or your choice.

Oil filter: There is a little drain plug on the bottom. Remove that and let the filter drain a few days. You may need to poke around in there to loosen up the sludge if the oil hasn't been changed in 20 years or so. Unbolt the top, pull the cartridge, and replace.

Temperature sender: The gauge and sender should interchange up to '73 when they went to the cluster with the board on the back. Prior to '62 or '61 they'll bolt in, but would read funky.

· Registered
4,268 Posts
I'll post up the headlight info from the OM, but they way I discribed above is correct(like your swb)

John H

65SWB45 said:
On the headlight thing, I have one wired each way. The swb I restored myself without the benefit of another to look at has first click to the left for markers, second click to the left for headlights.

On the lwb, which I assumed had not been tampered with, first click to the left gives headlights, second click for markers. I was gonna get around to rewiring the swb to match the lwb figuring that this was THE correct way to go. Now I think I'll see who else chimes in on this one! As Ralph Waldo Emerson liked to say, ' I prefer inaction to wrong action!'

FYI oil sender wire comes out of the drivers side cowl loom just before the voltage regulator wire. Sending unit is drivers side, about 3 inches up from the oil pan on the raised horizontal rib in the block (oil galley) just behind the exhaust pipe and about 4" back of the oil pressure regulator.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cruisernerd- I'm all over that FSM! Great find.. Amazing how many things are on Ebay!

Pimp.. Direct email is in sigline! And again.. You da man..
Just curious.. How many Cruiser literature books to you keep in the office at one time? :D
I would assume there are more than just the engine books for the FSM? that's from an owners manual? I'll gladly trade beer etc for a total copy of that! or scan it and we'll see if Brian can post it on his site? I'll just have to keep my eye's open for one..

I'm guessing bunch of us would love to see the owners manual.

65swb45.. Thanks for the tip on the location.. I know the wire and where it is.. PO pulled the wiring inside the firewall for the dimmer switch and oil sender from block. Will re-route tonight.

CruiserNerd .. thanks for the drain, replace, cleaning procedure..
So.. Stupid noob question here but you said "Unbolt the top, pull the cartridge, and replace. "
Uh I'm doubting my local parts store will have that? Is that still obtanium from Toyota? ANd it's replaceable? or not? My parts store stops bout 1970 or so.. Most junk dies if it's too old here in the rust belt!

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
65SWB45 " FYI oil sender wire comes out of the drivers side cowl loom just before the voltage regulator wire. "

Uh the Voltage Regulator wire wouldn't happen to be white with blue stripe? Hot at all times? If so I found it but it's disconnected as well.. Don't seem to be getting a charge at idle maybe that's part of my problem!

Geesh.. I need a wiring schematic! Please!! :eek:
I know it's best I figure this stuff out before Chef sicks me on his wiring harness on his longbed 45 this winter! :D
Anyone? Wow, I've learned a ton this morning!

Ok.. Wipers? I don't have access to my ?1971? Windshield frame but is the spacing(WIDTH) for the wipers the same? Can I put 71 wipers on an early frame? I'm missing one motor on the 64 wiper assembly which will be a pain to find.. Course would be cool to keep the old retro not in sync assembly if possible.

· Registered
4,268 Posts
the 65 owners manual is old and briltle and looks like something chewed on the corner of it ;) if I get a chance I will scan it. I was also thinking about scaning one of my fj45 wagon parts catalogs.......but damn that would be alot of work and opening it flat to scan would play hell on the binding of it........and I like it too much to bugger it up.

I don't keep any Cruiser stuff at the office, I just happen to go home for awhile................my job gives me alot of flexiblity. I'll take a pic someday of some of my books and cruiser stuff....there are a "few" of em ;)

John H

Cruisernerd- I'm all over that FSM! Great find.. Amazing how many things are on Ebay!

Pimp.. Direct email is in sigline! And again.. You da man..
Just curious.. How many Cruiser literature books to you keep in the office at one time? :D
I would assume there are more than just the engine books for the FSM? that's from an owners manual? I'll gladly trade beer etc for a total copy of that! or scan it and we'll see if Brian can post it on his site? I'll just have to keep my eye's open for one..

I'm guessing bunch of us would love to see the owners manual.

65swb45.. Thanks for the tip on the location.. I know the wire and where it is.. PO pulled the wiring inside the firewall for the dimmer switch and oil sender from block. Will re-route tonight.

CruiserNerd .. thanks for the drain, replace, cleaning procedure..
So.. Stupid noob question here but you said "Unbolt the top, pull the cartridge, and replace. "
Uh I'm doubting my local parts store will have that? Is that still obtanium from Toyota? ANd it's replaceable? or not? My parts store stops bout 1970 or so.. Most junk dies if it's too old here in the rust belt!

· Registered
517 Posts

I'll post up some numbers tonight. I think you can still get them from Toyota. Parts chains don't list them by application, but may be able to cross the number. Hate to say it, I got my stock from Ebay, I think the last one was six Toyota filters for around $15 with shipping. Got a case of Lazorlites for like $10. :flipoff2:

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Schematics are gonna be a good thing, I'll pay someone for time and copy fees...Oddly enough, nothing electrical on my truck works except the ammeter, starter, ignition, and blower motor for the heater. No lights anywhere, no wipers. I've cleaned a lot of connections and replaced what fuses were in there, but I don't know what circuits are what, and what fuses are *supposed* to be where.

· Registered
4,268 Posts
As we speak I am scaning the FSM for the 45 and other wiring diagrams..........................

Eric........I might have something for you, gotta dig around the shed ;)

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
all I gots to say is you guys rock on the old stuff! Taking Chef's vin and my vin to the dealer tomorrow to find wheel cylinder rebuild kit part #'s and other stuff.. Guess I'll order some filters while I'm at it now! :p
No telling how old the filter is in the shorty! Thinking probaby 20 years or so as it sat in a field for probably that long.. :eek:
Now to dig up the pics of Texican's 45 shorty I took in Texas so I can get dash switches in the right spots!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.