Pirate 4x4 banner

Early 60's 40/45 general help needed

3K views 52 replies 8 participants last post by  tornadoalleycruiser 
I have an owners manual and FSM that I can scan the stuff you need from for the oil and air cleaner.

headlight switch. Iknow it seem like an odd set up but its suppose to be odd. From the top of my head....

far left(2nd click) is headlights, taillights, lic plate light but NO bib lights. 1st click to the left is bib lights, taillights and lic plate light. Far right is rear lights and lic plate lights(must be for convoy use)

so when the headlights are on the bib lights are off. Me, I didn't like this so I ran a jumper wire on the back of the switch so that the bib lights come on when the headlights are on.

Key needs to be on for the turn signals(I think) They are not self cancelling.

key, far right is start, 2nd right is run, no ACC.......that I recall.

temp sender at least changed at some point, prolly the temp guage.

Oil presure is just one wire on the sender, normal female spade fits the post.

Yep, ya got it :) I know I would have figured it was a PO hack job if I didn't have others to compare or the owners manual to look at, but yep that right. and no there was no instuctions on the dash to tell ya.............

Yeah pretty sure the wireing diagram is in the FSM

If you buy an FSM, look for a real one, not a reprint from Toyota, the reprints are not the same, the originals have the body dimmensions in them, the repos don't.

I'll work on some stuff for you this week, hit me off line with your email address.

oh and DONT pay $25 for the fisch, get your dealer to ordered it for you, any fische is $8-10. If you cant find a dealer to help you let me know and I'll get it for you. the 1960s stuff, had a set for each year, the latter stuff covers numerous years.

John H

tornadoalleycruiser said:
pimp wrote
--far left(2nd click) is headlights, taillights, lic plate light but NO bib lights. 1st click to the left is bib lights, taillights and lic plate light. Far right is rear lights and lic plate lights(must be for convoy use)

so when the headlights are on the bib lights are off. Me, I didn't like this so I ran a jumper wire on the back of the switch so that the bib lights come on when the headlights are on.
---
So from left to right? lemme see If I can get this straight..
Far left is ----------Headlight/tail/License plate/no bib lights
second from left--Bib/Tail/License (basically park lights?)
third click from left-- Off?
fourth click from left-- Rear lights and license plate light

Now that's strange.. Darn glad I asked on that one! No wonder I was having problems trying to figure that out! Was there a round template behind the switch that said stuff like park/Convoy/headlights etc? or was it just guess and figure it out?
Pimp scans would be awesome if possible. Have anything that states wiring schematic in that FSM? It's pretty much all there but tailight wiring harness is lying under the truck right now.

As normal.. You are da man I would have never in my life figured out the headlight swith !

65fj45 I'll get on the fiche asap.. Thanks for the link.. I think Fiche can be purchased from the dealer still.

I'll post up the headlight info from the OM, but they way I discribed above is correct(like your swb)

John H

65SWB45 said:
On the headlight thing, I have one wired each way. The swb I restored myself without the benefit of another to look at has first click to the left for markers, second click to the left for headlights.

On the lwb, which I assumed had not been tampered with, first click to the left gives headlights, second click for markers. I was gonna get around to rewiring the swb to match the lwb figuring that this was THE correct way to go. Now I think I'll see who else chimes in on this one! As Ralph Waldo Emerson liked to say, ' I prefer inaction to wrong action!'

FYI oil sender wire comes out of the drivers side cowl loom just before the voltage regulator wire. Sending unit is drivers side, about 3 inches up from the oil pan on the raised horizontal rib in the block (oil galley) just behind the exhaust pipe and about 4" back of the oil pressure regulator.

the 65 owners manual is old and briltle and looks like something chewed on the corner of it ;) if I get a chance I will scan it. I was also thinking about scaning one of my fj45 wagon parts catalogs.......but damn that would be alot of work and opening it flat to scan would play hell on the binding of it........and I like it too much to bugger it up.

I don't keep any Cruiser stuff at the office, I just happen to go home for awhile................my job gives me alot of flexiblity. I'll take a pic someday of some of my books and cruiser stuff....there are a "few" of em ;)

John H

Cruisernerd- I'm all over that FSM! Great find.. Amazing how many things are on Ebay!

Pimp.. Direct email is in sigline! And again.. You da man..
Just curious.. How many Cruiser literature books to you keep in the office at one time? :D
I would assume there are more than just the engine books for the FSM? that's from an owners manual? I'll gladly trade beer etc for a total copy of that! or scan it and we'll see if Brian can post it on his site? I'll just have to keep my eye's open for one..

I'm guessing bunch of us would love to see the owners manual.

65swb45.. Thanks for the tip on the location.. I know the wire and where it is.. PO pulled the wiring inside the firewall for the dimmer switch and oil sender from block. Will re-route tonight.

CruiserNerd .. thanks for the drain, replace, cleaning procedure..
So.. Stupid noob question here but you said "Unbolt the top, pull the cartridge, and replace. "
Uh I'm doubting my local parts store will have that? Is that still obtanium from Toyota? ANd it's replaceable? or not? My parts store stops bout 1970 or so.. Most junk dies if it's too old here in the rust belt!

As we speak I am scaning the FSM for the 45 and other wiring diagrams..........................

Eric........I might have something for you, gotta dig around the shed ;)

I can help ya out with the dash stuff.........just give me some time.

I had to buy some software to work over the scans, seems like the stuff that came with my new Dell expired so I cant rotate the scans a few degs...............grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

all I gots to say is you guys rock on the old stuff! Taking Chef's vin and my vin to the dealer tomorrow to find wheel cylinder rebuild kit part #'s and other stuff.. Guess I'll order some filters while I'm at it now! :p
No telling how old the filter is in the shorty! Thinking probaby 20 years or so as it sat in a field for probably that long.. :eek:
Now to dig up the pics of Texican's 45 shorty I took in Texas so I can get dash switches in the right spots!

except for the toggle switch and different choke knob this is what it should look like. Don't know what the silver one is, its not suppose to be there

correct on the lever pin. So you don't drop it into 2 low.

also if no heater stock then the fuse block will be mounted to the center of the firewall, if a heater its offset to the driverside and there will be captive nuts in the firewall.

65SWB45 said:
There was definitely a non-heater model available, which would explain why you dont have any holes for the front heater. A distinguishing feature of the non heater model is that the vacuum shift control box for the 4wd mounted in the engine compartment in the space where the heater blower motor went, outboard of the passenger side firewall brace.

The windshield in my 45 lwb came from a non-heater model and originally did not have the defroster vent cuts in the frame. PO made the cuts and didn't do a very good job.

not sure which gasket you are looking for, the carb to intake or the rubber gasket carb to air cleaner(yes this is still availible)

no spring that I know of, you just turn the knob to open/close. I can look at my 65 fj40 with the vent tonight, also will glance at the FSM.

yep I got one 2 weeks ago, 17848 60030, retail is $7.80, this is the rubber ring that seals the air cleaner to carb.

i'll look at the vent tonight or today or sometime soon.

the rubber gasket carb to air cleaner(yes this is still availible)
-----
It's the one that goes in the aircleaner on top of the onebarrel.. Tried at the parts store in the onebarrel carb section of the books. Nothing! Any help appreciated!
---
no spring that I know of, you just turn the knob to open/close. I can look at my 65 fj40 with the vent tonight, also will glance at the FSM.
--
Please.. I can turn to open but the shaft is not connected to the flap in any way. Dunno if it should be or if there is a spring that pulls the flap shut.. Maybe I'm supposed to drive really really fast and it'll shut itself! :)
Well.. Maybe push it down a hill and hope for a really long flat spot to hope it stops!

that was one of the parts I was gonna mention to ya...........but figured no one but me was excited you could still get em ;)

oil bath I just dumped in a qt of 10/30.......I don't think it reeally matters.....its just something to hold the crap in.....

but seeing how I bugger up my trany lube.........don't trust me ;)

ROCK ON! ordered and on it's way.. I really wish I could be of more assistance to you but your still like a month ahead of me on all these little parts!
-- Next stupid question..
Air cleaner oil bath style.. Straight 30wt? That's what I picked up today.. Hope it'll work.. Didn't really wanna use 20-50! :)

nothing in the FSM but this is from the parts book, circa 1961.

FWIW I see no mention of a spring for the vent.

I'll be heading out the 65 fj40 latter on...........after I take a nap :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.