Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some holley but sold it and bought a motorcraft since I couldn't keep the holley from running rich. Well I think there is something wrong with this motorcraft (rebuilt it and now it is worse). Anyway, I have a hi-rise offenhouse manifold and JC whitney headers - any suggestions on a carb or can I retrofit injection or ?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Id say get another MC 2100 and rebuild it. If its going on the 225 make sure you get the 475cfm one. I made the mistake of running the 550cfm one at first and it ran like shit. Once the right one was installed it runs better then ever and performs excellent on the trail. Good luck!

·
Registered
670 Posts
brandon- some of the factory 225 v6 engines used in jeeps used rochester 2BBL carbs-i ran one on my old flatty for years on both a 225 v6 and later on a 283 chev v8. the old flatty was my rock rig for 22 years no carb problems. i heard the factory carbs used on jeeps used a different style float assembly- centered instead of side hung bowls. i never had a reason to take my carb apart to verify this. you would have to make a adapter since you'r using offy 4BBL intake. the only reason i got rid of my 225 was parts avaliability- they are great off-road engines- especially that 45LB flywheel on the back of the crankshaft! big bad jeepster-mike how you been doing? i believe your the guy that i stopped and helped you weld up the aluminum nose piece on your starter on sierra trek? hope everything is going well for you......................

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Brandon. Qjet. Rochester # 17080244 Worked real nice on this intake

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
You'll need to adapt the car as quads are spread bore. You can take an open plenum spread bore to square bore adapter, flip it over and use that or you can get a 4 hole adapter and machine it to clear the secondaries when flipped over. Thats what I did personally.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I wonder if that is an issue with the 2 barrel motorcraft I put on? It runs worse than crappy but bolted on with a 4 to 2barrel adapter (like my holley was). What is that intake made for? Kinda rather stay away from all these hoaky adapters :(

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
It's made for a square bore carb. You know... Holley, Carter... strip carbs. I haven't seen a square bore that performs off camber.

edit: adapters by themselves arent hoakey, but you have to make sure you get full butterfly movement and full sealing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i didn't know q-jets were offered in small c.f.m. versions most of the ones for sale are 750 or larger on a 225 cubic inch engine you may have to re-jet if they offer them small enough to get the engine to run o.k. at higher r.p.m. i currently run a 750 c.f.m. q-jet on a g.m. 4.3 v-6 that engine is 262 cubic inch runs great rock crawling with q-jet but way to rich i need to re-jet it. in the early 70's and 80's lot's of 225 v-6 engines were being run in jeeps- that 2BBL rochester i talked about worked very well off road on hard rock trails.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
stainless steal dave said:
i didn't know q-jets were offered in small c.f.m. versions most of the ones for sale are 750 or larger on a 225 cubic inch engine you may have to re-jet if they offer them small enough to get the engine to run o.k. at higher r.p.m. i currently run a 750 c.f.m. q-jet on a g.m. 4.3 v-6 that engine is 262 cubic inch runs great rock crawling with q-jet but way to rich i need to re-jet it. in the early 70's and 80's lot's of 225 v-6 engines were being run in jeeps- that 2BBL rochester i talked about worked very well off road on hard rock trails.
The one that I listed the # for was for the buick 231 stock on a century. Definatley in the 225's CFM requirements :)

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
stainless steal dave said:
how does the carb perform off-road? how much does it retail for?
Excellent! Retail? As I recall it wasn't the cheapest carb I ever purchased. When I got it it was in the $200 range several years ago. The kicker, there was one model year where it wasn't electronically controlled. Fun eh? ;) I sold mine with my engine, or I could pull TOMCO's part # off it and get more info

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
The sad thing is I've posted it several times before and none of them show up now in a search :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts