Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an early 70's dodge, I beleive it is a 73. It has a 360, auto, and divorced transfer case. I believe it is a dana 60 rear, it has a dana 44 front, both drum brakes. Now for the dumb question... is the front axle worth keeping, or should I swap it out? and is the transfercase a 205?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
drum brake frontends are trash imo, especially if you want to offroad. for pavement only duties they are fine on a DD, but don't tow or haul big loads. and yeah, that should be a divorced NP205. 32 spline front and rear outputs, :) .

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
You should be able to easily convert the front over to Disks, get the knuckle out off of another rig with disks and also invest in a Proportioning valve

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
ddestruel said:
You should be able to easily convert the front over to Disks, get the knuckle out off of another rig with disks and also invest in a Proportioning valve
If it has open knuckles that would work. I am not familiar with early dodge d44's but my '69 GMC has one with closed knuckles(44-5F). you cannot just "swap" the outers to disc brakes, as the axle has kingpins, vs. newer outers with bj. if its open knuckle with drums then it would be easy. Also, you could put discs on a closed knuckle axle w/ stock outers, there was someone in the IH forum that did it to a d70, but to do that kind of mod to a 44 is IMO a waste of time and resources. personally, my cure to the closed knuckle drum brake situation is a '78 Dodge d60... I get discs, larger u joints, and overall beef as upgrades :smokin:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I was going to use this truck to pull my camper, but the front drum brings up concerns.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The front axle should be a open knuckle...I have the same thing (Late 73). The drums can be converted to either later dodge discs (80-93, the 75ish to 79s used fulltime units and theyhave a different knuckle). Or they can be converted to GM discs using the spindle, backing plates, rotors, calipers, etc...you don't "need" the knuckle cause with a little grinding the backing plate will fit a dodge knuckle. The spindle mounting studs are clock about 15* different than a GM. You will also need the longer studs which can be got from lighttruck.com.

But the D60F upgrade is a better idea!!!

steved

·
Registered
464 Posts
good info steved! i just did that very swap on my 72. i kept the dodge knuckles, and everything from the spindles out is 3/4 ton GM stuff. what a difference! and an easy swap. the only thing i had to do that you didnt mention was change the spindle seal on the stub axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts