Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
perfection in plasma
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have had an offer made to me to pick up a realy cherry early 80's (eihter 81 or 82) mini truck. body is in great shape only found 1 ity bity spot of rust under the bed........ thing has a bad motor and my friend wants rid of it. at frist i didnt want it but...... if i can put in a 98' vortec 4.3 and automatic then........ ill go ahead and take it. as i was going to build something and toss in the motor and tranny from my 98' zr2 blazer (rolled over) to make a nice compact daily driver that got remotly good milage. would the 4.3 and 4L60e fit in a early 80's mini truck w/ out having to sit in the bed?

thanks.....

·
perfection in plasma
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i searched and found info on guys doing all kinds of stuff w/ this truck/motor combo but no real yes it fits w/ out rebuilding the wrold try answer....... was hoping for a quick easy anser........ im having issues w/ my other project ...(72' fj-40) my v8 swap, automatic, tcase are ended up so far back ill prob have a 12" rear drive shaft...... so i was hoping to find out quick and easy if id be looking at basicly the same problem again or what ever befor i even take on the truck........

thanks for the heads up........ kindness is hard to come by ... even harder to find when cryber crawling!......

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
One problem you can count on is getting your exhaust past your frame. You'll need to buy some block hugger headers of some sort or come up with some other great idea that I haven't seen. My friend just put an early model 4.3 in his 81 frame and had to move the engine back 18" to fit the exhaust past the frame. Incidentaly he decided to build a buggy instead and ditched the cab.

Its a tight fit in the compartment. There isn't as much room as a second gen truck.

You won't have any problems with driveline length or placement.

Its not an easy fit but for different reasons than you seem to be expecting.

Chass
ct

·
Registered
807 Posts
The exhuast isnt as big of an issue as it sounds, there are several oem manifolds that fit. SEARCH for 4.3 FAQ- it will answer all your questions. It is also linked to in the faq at the top of the page.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Exhaust

I am running aa headers on my 4.3 and they still hit the frame, I had to heat them up and beat them in so they would not hit, from what I have read on other peoples swaps they had the same problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts