Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for the newbie question, but could anyone help in pointing me to axle information from a '64 FJ40? Particularly spline count and any info on the birfs. I'd like to swap in longfields or something stronger that what's in there.

I exhaused the searching here, woody's site and google. LCML search sux. Most of the information available is from '67 and on.

Thanks.

-tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Tooleman said:
I apologize for the newbie question, but could anyone help in pointing me to axle information from a '64 FJ40? Particularly spline count and any info on the birfs. I'd like to swap in longfields or something stronger that what's in there.

I exhaused the searching here, woody's site and google. LCML search sux. Most of the information available is from '67 and on.

Thanks.

-tim
someone else can elaborate but there are NO(at least worthwhile) upgrades to a pre 68 cruiser front axle, they use a ball and claw instead of the later birfield, just get a later drum front end and/or do a mini truck disc swap to the later drum axle or get a 76+ disc front axle and swap the whole deal. There is nothing you can do to what you have.......sorry :(

John H(with a 67 front end taking up space in the back yard.....and it's good for nothing)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
Ball Joint front axle... your best bet would be to swap in a later disc brake front end. Better birfs, better brakes, wider parts availability.

As far as the spline count... 10 spline... another pitfall is that LockRight is the only locker widely available for the 10 spline. Any other locker and you must update to a 67+ axleshafts.

It is possible to swap the early course spline birfs and axleshafts into your axle, everything else should be the same. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:
It is possible to swap the early course spline birfs and axleshafts into your axle, everything else should be the same. Good Luck [/B]
So couldnt he just swap some fine spline, disk break, birfields and knuckes, from a post 76(?) cruiser, on to his housing? Are the axle housings actualy diferent?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
IIRC, the inner axle seal is different on the 67-older housings. For the work involved, it's easiest to buy a 68-newer housing and drop on the minitruck conversion. And you are still stuck with coarse spline inner shafts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
71-Cruiser said:
So couldnt he just swap some fine spline, disk break, birfields and knuckes, from a post 76(?) cruiser, on to his housing? Are the axle housings actualy diferent?
I don't see why not... if I can remember correctly, all of the front end parts are the same with the exception of the ball/birf and axle spline counts. So he could swap all of the DB setup onto his truck but it would also require a new carrier as well... in that case it is easier and possibly cheaper to swap the entire DB front end. Much easier in my opinion. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
woody said:
IIRC, the inner axle seal is different on the 67-older housings. ...
I didn't think about the inner axle... good call Woody.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
You can buy the 68 and later drum setups for dirt cheap (like $100 or less), and sometimes people give them away. If money is an issue, it will bolt right in, and is cheaper than finding a disk break setup. Not really worth getting the guts from another one, as you can just bolt in the whole axle for the same price. Get rid on the brake line banjo fitting while you are doing it. those suck too.
I broke both front "monkey-claw" axles in my truck with an Open diff, and not hammering on it. They are worthless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
My 68 still had ball joints in it and I did a mini conversion to mine. I pulled the inner axle seals and got some from a bearing place locally. You of course have to grind on the knuckle to fit in the mini birfs but, it can be done.
HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
I forgot to mention that I had to get a later 3rd member and inner axle so that all the fine spline stuff would work correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the quick responses and hopefully this thread will be good for the archives.

In short, this might be a good time for an axle swap. Do it right, or not at all, eh?

Anyone have a front Chevy/Dodge D60 that want to get rid of? ;)

-tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Hey Toolman,

I have a 76 and 71 front axles. The 76 is complete the 71 does not have the 3rd member and inner axles.


Let me know if you are intrested at
[email protected]

Can he use his inner axles with a 71 birfs?

HTH,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,906 Posts
woody said:
And you are still stuck with coarse spline inner shafts...
there are lots out there that went to ARB, the side gears are all that need to be replaced or the whole carrier for that matter. I know I have a couple.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top