Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what was the spline count on 9" rear ends? 28 or 31? it should be a 72 year model if that matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
None of the EB 9"s came with anything but 28 splines from the factory. I have read some stuff about 77's having 31 splines, but I've never seen anything concrete to confirm that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,267 Posts
broncobsession said:
None of the EB 9"s came with anything but 28 splines from the factory. I have read some stuff about 77's having 31 splines, but I've never seen anything concrete to confirm that.
........so brick wall is wrong?:flipoff2: why would he post that:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Yep, all EB"s are 28 spline stock. I have never seen a 77 with 31 splines, but I have heard rumors.
Some are big bearing axles, some are small. Bigbearings canbe easily upgraded to 31/33/35 spline. 35 spline requires a different drop inwith bigger carrier bearings.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
broncobsession said:
None of the EB 9"s came with anything but 28 splines from the factory. I have read some stuff about 77's having 31 splines, but I've never seen anything concrete to confirm that.
No first hand info, but I thought this was right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
I've heard rumors that the Stroppe Baja Broncos had 31 spline axles but, those were only rumors . Other than that, Early Broncos had only 28 spline axles be it small or big bearing.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
SeaBass44 said:


........so brick wall is wrong?:flipoff2: why would he post that:confused:
I offer my humblest apologies for incorrect information. Dyslexia has kicked in yet again I read 72 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened and my mind read 72 Bronco blah, blah 31 spline blah, blah.:flipoff2: My head hurts from working on my own 9"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,267 Posts
Brick Wall said:


I offer my humblest apologies for incorrect information. Dyslexia has kicked in yet again I read 72 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened and my mind read 72 Bronco blah, blah 31 spline blah, blah.:flipoff2: My head hurts from working on my own 9"...
:D ;) ;) ;) ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
they have 28 spline. :eek: :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
rockteeth said:
Yep, all EB"s are 28 spline stock. I have never seen a 77 with 31 splines, but I have heard rumors.
Some are big bearing axles, some are small. Bigbearings canbe easily upgraded to 31/33/35 spline. 35 spline requires a different drop inwith bigger carrier bearings.
There are actual 3 sizes of bearings the largest of which(325) is required for 35 spline unless you go with a spool in which case a (306) bearing center will work. I think the third size was like (297) not for sure on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
How do you tell which bearing size the axle has without tearing it down? I don't feel like ripping apart every axle at the pick and pull to measure bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
pretty much everything that is 28 spline is the smallest bearing and every thing that is 31 spline is 306 I beleive the 325s may not have come in anything unless there is an actual stock 35 spline 9" application.People tend to make the mistake of calling a 306 a big bearing 9" which is just not the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Stock 28 but the only way to know for sure is to pull it apart and count someone may have changed it .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
There are a few other ways to tell what size the bearing is. The flange on the housing where the axle retaining bolts go thru is shaped differently on a big vs a small. Also the small bearing retaining bolts are 3/8 while BB is 1/2. The other bearing size which is sometimes called the torino bearing is very hard to tell it is a medium bearing size and looks like a BB. I had a torino bearing size in my '75 that was the original factory rear. Regardless of bearing size they will all be 28 spline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
It is definetly 28 spline if it's stock. I also have never seen a 31 spline axle stock. I have torn down several 77 looking.
I have alsoseen 325 brgs stock in some early ford 9''. 9 1/4 aslo uses 325. Brett
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top