Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the looks of the Early Bronco;s, but am really tired of working on the thing all the time. and I know how dependable Yotas are. had a 76 Celica that ran 300K with just a new fuel pump. and our 96 4Runner had 109K on it when we bought it last year, and now has 135K on it. No problems, havent lifted a finger for maint, other than the initial repair,(bought it totalled at an ins co auction)

Interested in getting a rusty or rolled mid 80;s Yota pickup and installing the Bronc body on it.

what is the wheelbase of say an 84 single cab?

84 is the last year with solid axle and no computer, right?
and I understand 85 was the only year for solid axle and EFI?

I installed fuel injected 5.0 from a 90 Stang in my Bronc, and its great to have the EFI in the woods, but it seems to always have something wrong with the sensors or the transmission or something, I am just sick of working on it.

I am guessing the Yota EFI stuff would be more dependable thatnthe Ford EFI stuff.

This vehicle would be driven about half the time as a daily driver. with say 33 in tires.

Any opinions and info are helpful.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Personally, I think it would be :rainbow:, but whatever floats your boat.

'85 was the last year of the solid axle, and the first year of EFI. These are the most desirable trucks to have. Although you could still get a pick-up with a carb until '90 or so. Toyota EFI is very reliable and not a concern.

Wheelbase of an '84 std. cab is about 103"

Jesse

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
BRONCOS HAVE STRONGER FRAMES AND COME WITH A V8 AND U WANT TO PUT IN A LITTLE 22R WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH U??? HERES YOUR SIGN (!!STUPID!!)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Seems kinda silly to me. I would think that the bronco body is alot heavier that a Toyota truck. With a Toyota 4 popper weight is very important. Seems like a heavy body would kill the little amount of power they have. Could be done but I wouldn't do it

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
////I would think that the bronco body is alot heavier that a Toyota truck////

Good point, whats a Yota truck body weigh?
Would be using a soft top, so I am guessing the weight would be close.

///BRONCOS HAVE STRONGER FRAMES AND COME WITH A V8 AND U WANT TO PUT IN A LITTLE 22R? /////

No, I want to set a 66 Bronco body on a rolled 84 Yota .
Are the Toyota frames weak?

I saw one for sale with a turbo 22R. was this factory?

///sell the ford, build a yota!//

Thats the plan.!

tired of having to make repairs all the time, it gets 10 mpg, and our 96 4Runner 4x4 V-6 will easily blow the doors off the Bronc,

New question , will the Yota transmission and T-case hold up to a small V-8?
I have seen the swaps done.

What is the length of the Toyota 5 speed and T-case?
What about with the doubler T-case?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Turbo 22R, yep factory, eccept it's 22RE. Started in '86 I think until '88 when toyota introduced the 3.0L V6. They have about 150 hp and decent torque, but only available in IFS rigs.

A toyota t/c can hold up to a V8 alright, but the trannies are very questionable. I wouldn't even think about putting a toyota tranny behind V8 myself. Maybe a 4.3, but only an R series tranny then. If you must use a yota tranny, you'll want one from a turbo or V6 truck, They are the R150 and R151.

I think a 4cyl tranny is about 25" long. Dual cases behind that adds about 20". Minus 7" if only single case.

If your gonna go through all this work to have a bronco bodied yota, but have a V8, and probaly a different tranny, why? You could just build your bronco right and be done with it. You probaly know that bronco's are a great starting point. Keep it and put a newer HO 5.0 in there with a good tranny, and be done with it. You have a nice reliable truck with a solid drivetrain, and less work to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Ive never seen a Bronco body on a Toy chassis, but I have a 69 bronco with 89 cobra 5.0 Np435 and np205. I still havent got the 5.0 running right. I also have a stock 85 4runner and a highly modified 88 p-up. I have never had a problem with either Toyota. The stock 4runner can go into some amazing places. But may get some body damage. The 88 laughs at most obstacles.

You said your Ford is having trouble with sensors and tranny, then why put that motor into a Toyota? If you do put in the 5.0 keep a Ford or V8 tranny behind it. Both of my 22re motors run great and Ive never had any trouble with either. both trucks have over 250k miles and no smoke. The 88 EFi seems to be stronger though, plus pretty decent mileage. In winter I can roll up the windows and crank on the heater or AC in the Summer. With Radials they ride pretty smooth on the road too. The bronco rattles and shakes.

The Toyota is also much narrower than the bronco. Plus I love the Toyota axles. I can change or replace third members in less than an hour and there are tons of aftermarket parts available (not smittybuilt or that kind) I think they have better clearance than any other axle (except portals) and are still very strong and light. They can even be clearanced more by removing the drain plug.

Dual cases, t-case gears, axle gears, tranny swaps, engine swaps,front or rear axle swaps. etc

Id get a Toyota and use the BREAKO as a learning experience.
Keep reading in this forum. You can start with a stock Toyota and slowly build it up. 79-85 will amaze you with their capabilities and dont need V8 power in stockk form. Even with 37s My 22re is slow but ok.

I wish I could support American products, but Toyotas RULE.

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry, I didnt mean to sound like I wanted a V-8 in a Yota, I saw a website where some guy in Austrailia put a EFI 5.0 in his 4Runner,

Brocbronc: Do you have the SEFI on your 5.0?

I have a T-18 behind mine with the D-20.

I love the style of the american vehicle from the 60's, have a 66 Thunderbird, but I have had a couple of Toyotas and they last forever,

Had the bronc 8 years, just gettin tired of it I guess. and something that got better than 10 mpg would be nice.

Its not just the sensors, I am constantly replacing u-joints, track bar bushings, stuff like that.

Will the turbo 22RE fit in a solid axle truck?

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Yep. 89 5.0 cobra SEFI from mustang. It runs good cold but once it warms up it starts missing and then it dies. I plan to sell it an keep the Toyotas. I spent more time wheeling my Toyotas then my Bronco and waaaaay less time working on them. PLus the 85 4runner was my daily driver for 5 years without any trouble (oops I had to replace the alternator at 315K miles and new rear third member cost $20.)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
If you're going to run a V8 in front of a toyota tranny, the Turbo tranny is your friend. It's the R-151 tranny... virtually identical to the R-154 that came in the turbo supras.

You know, those cars people are squeezing a dyno-proven 600HP out of with a stock bottom end and transmission? ;)

Send Superrunner a PM and ask him about his opinion on the turbo tranny. He's blown two EFI 4-banger W56 trannies and currently runs an R151 behind his 260HP-ish supra I6.

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the turbo tranny the same as the V_6 trans? which is stronger?
Are the turbo trans, tcases, and axles diffreent from the V-6? if so that makes it a oddball hard to find since it was only made 2 years(read even more expensive that regular Toyota parts)

Brocbronc: what trouble codes are you getting for the EFI?

I had the O2 sensors wires hooked up backwards, sounds like when it goes into closed loop it has problems with a sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I had 11 trouble codes so I gave up and have just been wheeling my Toyotas. THe bronco has been parked under a tarp for over a year. I dont like to think about it. IF you are interested, Ill pay you to figure out what is wrong so I can sell a running vehicle. Otherwise Ill just let it rot. But you re right ... The body style looks cool. It looks tough as hell just sitting there. The old 351W carbed engine ran so rough and spewed oil everywhere but it never left me stranded. I figured Id get Hi tech with the newer motor.But I just keep it simple for now on. Im sticking with the Toyota.---Kev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts