Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is for a guy on another BB. He has a 1967 3/4 ton
Chevy pickup that looks like it has this rear axle in it............

1946-1972 - Corporate "drop out" style (similar to a Ford 9"). 4.10, 4.57 ratios available. Full floating. 8 lug.

Source: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/index.html#GMRE

Does anyone know the specs on this??? How strong? Can you
get parts? TIA.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
its an eaton... very strong. not a whole lot of parts for it but they are stronger than a 14 bolt. they have an 11" ring gear and some have 1.7" 37 spline shafts.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
motorhead72k5 said:
Does it look like this?

He didn't supply a pic. Just said it was a pull out center section like a
Ford 9" and was a FF.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
and this? That is the Eaton rear end in my K5. Bulletproof. Some came with a Detroit No Spin (like mine) I have NEVER had any problems with it. IIRC, 14 bolt axle shafts will fit with the 14 bolt side gears, but I am not sure. I think a 14 bolt Detroit will fit too, with thw 14 bolt shafts. Do a search, I know the info is there.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
BillaVista said:
Sure sounds like an Eaton, and I'd swap 2 14 bolts for one any day - and I love the 14B
A-MEN Bruddah!!!! The only problems with the eaton is the size and that they are becoming harder to find. I hope I never have to replace mine.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I passed it along. :D

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
64rovr said:
its an eaton... very strong. not a whole lot of parts for it but they are stronger than a 14 bolt. they have an 11" ring gear and some have 1.7" 37 spline shafts.
actually.. 12.25" ring gear and 1.7"ish 17 spline shafts.. My buddy just picked one up with factory 4.57 gearset and detroit.
definately a badass rearend..

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Azzy2000 said:

actually.. 12.25" ring gear and 1.7"ish 17 spline shafts.. My buddy just picked one up with factory 4.57 gearset and detroit.
definately a badass rearend..
Those specs sound MUCH more correct than the 11" and 37 spline.

You can swap the 14 bolt spiders into the Eaton case and use the 30 spline 14 bolt shafts IF you break a factory shaft.

The eaton has a rear removable cover also along with the drop out 3rd member. In my opinion i would weld the rear cover on to help eliminate flex in the housing.

Besides parts becoming very rare for these axles I dont like how thin the ring gears are. Seems like with a heavy vehicle, lots of tire and HP the ring gear would be the weak point.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
With C14FFs being so common and virtually indestructible, plus having cheap/easy lockers and cheap housings, why would anyone go out of their way to get an Eaton which is comparable in strength, has a serious parts availability issue, old school metallurgy, coarse spline shafts, (I think) less clearance, and more weight. The only bene I can see is that they sometimes came very low geared which is the C14FF's Achilles heel...

Edit: Oh, of course it does have the drop out third which can be very nice...

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
BadDog said:
With C14FFs being so common and virtually indestructible, plus having cheap/easy lockers and cheap housings, why would anyone go out of their way to get an Eaton which is comparable in strength, has a serious parts availability issue, old school metallurgy, coarse spline shafts, (I think) less clearance, and more weight. The only bene I can see is that they sometimes came very low geared which is the C14FF's Achilles heel...

i THINK the lowest gearset you can get for the eaton is 5.13 (also a factory option) One thing i really like about em is the steel housing which makes welding brackets onto the center easy and worry free.. you can get new 4.56 gearsets for them, not sure on the 5.13.. And as another guy mentioned you can throw some 14 bolt parts in to get rid of the coarse spline shafts. The guy to ask would be brian waddel (big blaze) hes on the list... hes the one that sold my buddy his , he seems to know a LOT about them. not to mention he beat the living shit out of his blazer in TTC a few years ago with an eaton rear, 44" boggers and 500 horse BB , didnt break, and won the whole thing..

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hmm, forgot about the steel diff housing.

And I would have sworn they sometimes came with gears in 6.xx range. Oh well, not an axle I know very well...

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Azzy2000 said:

The guy to ask would be brian waddel (big blaze) hes on the list... hes the one that sold my buddy his , he seems to know a LOT about them. not to mention he beat the living shit out of his blazer in TTC a few years ago with an eaton rear, 44" boggers and 500 horse BB , didnt break, and won the whole thing..
I actually bought my Blazer from Brian years ago. He had already swapped the Eaton in it. He does know his stuff. All of his rigs get them. I have never seen one break.

·
Registered
242 Posts
BadDog said:

I'm not sure how much clearance a 14B has, but here are some pics of my Eaton in my Jeep. It has decent clearance (for an axle this heavy duty) with my 38.5 Sx's. Another nice thing (for short wheelbase vehicles) is the relatively short pinion to center distance.

-troy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i almost bought a 66 chev with the same rear, a napco front end, and a divorce t-case. it was a factory conversion. extremly hard to find parts, and expensive. i thought the rear was cool cause the drop out and the cover plate. never saw both on the same axle. oh, and it had 4.57 gears stock, with a creeper first gear tranny.

·
Registered
330 Posts
gear option

i recently picked up an eaton rear end,was wondering if there is any place on earth to pick up gears for one??? mine has 4.10s in it:eek:

·
Registered
636 Posts
one of my buddies who mud races would like to convert to eatons but he dosent have th cash and whith how many 14bolts he goes through i doubt the more expensive eaton would do much better...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts