Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the early Dodge 241 (~’88-’93 passenger drop, fixed yoke) and the early Chevy 241 (’89 passenger drop, slip yoke, cable speedo)? I have the opportunity to pick up the Dodge case for cheap/free, and am wondering how hard it would be to mix and match parts to make a fixed yoke 241 Chevy. (I currently run the ’89 Chevy case.)

I have also heard that the Dodge case is clocked higher than the Chevy case. If this is true, could the Chevy input shaft be swapped into the Dodge case, for better clearance? (No, the Chevy adapter cannot be redrilled to clock the case higher.)

Also, it it possible to grind and extra detent into the sector (on either case) to allow for 2-Low? I seem to recall that it could be done to a 208-C, but I never tried it when I had mine.

Pete

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
I have had both cases laying around, it has been a while since I had them side by side and screwed around with them. From what I remember the clocking using a Chevy adapter was not even close. I think the Dodge went close to straight out maybe even up a little. Externally I like the chevy case better with the bosses for the strut rod. All 3 dodge cases I have have what looks like tons of little stress cracks. The 2 Chevy cases I have had didn't have any. Sorry about the vagueness here but I am sure that from comparing the 2 side by side that the tailhousings wouldn't interchange.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Straight out would be nice, I'd just need to do a cut'n'turn on the front axle, and notch the floor. As for the strut rod, I haven't run one for several years, so I'm not really concerned. I know on some Dodge 208s you can use the rear half of the Dodge case, and the front half of the Chevy, wonder if that would work out on the 241?

Pete

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
From what I've heard, most all aluminum chain driven cases with 2.72 gears (NVG) can interchange input gears to match up to nearly any transmission with the common 6 bolt pattern. 241's in place of 231's, 271's in place of 261's, etc. The only differences would be clocking and t'case shifting. The only complications I've heard of are some of the 231 cases because they used 3 different gear pitch over the years. Not sure if this problem exhists among other larger cases. If so, just swap in the whole planetary set.
Travis

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Pete, call JB Conversions. Between him and the guys at NVG, I found out that it would be a PITA to try and get there

There are things you can and can't swap. I tried to do this with my 241. I was gonna swipe the fixed year yoke off of a Dodge case, but there are too many things that wouldn't allow it.

As for clocking the case, you can put it upside down if you want. Some folks have said that the oil pump would not allow for it, but the guys from NVG said that's not an issue. If you clocked the case up, then it gets tricky to fill it, but you are actually adding more fluid and making life easier on the parts and pump. The only thing to keep an eye on is the vent tube. NVG suggested building a catch tank/resevoir for the oil that will come out with a clocked case.

I'll see if I can dig up the names of the people at NVG that I talked to, they worked with me for about 2 weeks pulling prints and looking through the stuff. They may even fax you a copy of some of the original prints to help you out.

Don't know about the detent though. Haven't gotten that far :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts