Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned before(and was shot down, assuming it was an error in the lit)) early fj55's in other markets then the US had the option of a 4 speed trany with a 5.299 1st gear and a one speed t-case(like a fj25)

here is where I 1st noticed it.

then last night I was reading a 68 fj55 owners manual and guess what......it lists the optional 4 speed trany grear ratio's in the back of the book and the single speed t-case.

So I am pretty confident it did exist.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Which infidel dared to question you, John? :D
Ed

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mentor ;).........so I took it as the gospel........and knowing him, he is prolly right........it might only exist in print but not in the real world

Degnol said:
Which infidel dared to question you, John? :D
Ed

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Your mentor? I did not know cruiseryoda lived in Gig Harbor?

In my opinion on this, they DO exist. Just not an option when new at the dealer in the US, but somehow the part numbers were eventually good to order stuff in the states. I too have the owners manual with the single speed case and 4 speed with 5.299:1 listed first gear.

No-one has proven for sure that it truly existed in a cruiser that was originally delivered in the states. Mark mentioned someone got one in the states used but I am not sure on the origin.

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
The 5:29 1st gear 4 speed has a tailshaft that is EXACTLY like a 3speed tranny, 10 spline and full length. It would make absolutely no sense to deliver it with a single speed transfer case. Somewhere, I have a printout of the 5:29 trans microfiche; I will take a look to see if it shows a single speed transfer case. I doubt it.

As I said before, I still have the top cover from an H42-fronted transfer case with the single, hi-lo lever attachment. I sold the rest of the TWO-SPEED case years ago.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
"I still have the top cover from an H42-fronted transfer case with the single, hi-lo lever attachment. "
I'm gonna sound dumb here but All my transfer cases have a lever that does that on the top plate.. Even my split cases have the lever but no top plate.. Is this something different? All of em go High, Neutral, Low don't they? Cept for my 80series, it didn't course don't recall as it has been a long time since I"ve torn down an 80 series case..

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
tornadoalleycruiser said:
"I still have the top cover from an H42-fronted transfer case with the single, hi-lo lever attachment. "
I'm gonna sound dumb here but All my transfer cases have a lever that does that on the top plate.. Even my split cases have the lever but no top plate.. Is this something different? All of em go High, Neutral, Low don't they? Cept for my 80series, it didn't course don't recall as it has been a long time since I"ve torn down an 80 series case..
For once, you are not confused Erik! :D Since none of you has seen this item, I must be more specific. This transfer case had a floorshift lever that ONLY operated the Hi-Lo, while the 71-87 floorshift levers we are used to seeing operate both Hi-Lo AND 2-4WD. :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ahh so it's like the dash lever on the old stuff? But mounted on the floor! Now I'm getting it!
Hmmm.. My FJ62 Tcase lever only does High and low! Do I win a prize? :)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vacuume shift(so just low/high on t-case) has always been an option on fj40's up till the end of production, just like a early cruiser and just like a fj62. I even show in some of my mid 70's US lit as an option. I think for the most part Jap spec cruisers had this pretty much standard.

this is from Morgan's site, its a 79 fj40

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a road flare, they are/were required in Japan.

tornadoalleycruiser said:
But what's in the red tube? NOw never seen that? Must be some sort of Japanese DMV thing?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
65SWB45 said:
For once, you are not confused Erik! :D Since none of you has seen this item, I must be more specific. This transfer case had a floorshift lever that ONLY operated the Hi-Lo, while the 71-87 floorshift levers we are used to seeing operate both Hi-Lo AND 2-4WD. :)
just look in the mid 70's body/chassis FSM. Its pictured in there. That's just a non US shifting arangement; hi-lo direct shift, and vacuum 4wd. I will post a pic of the FJ55 owners manual that CLEARLY pictures a single speed lever that only engages 2wd-4wd. No Hi-lo at all.

There is a single speed t-case behind the early 4speed. Rick D had an old paper parts catalog that showed the breakdown and part numbers of the FJ55 only 4 spd and single speed t-case. IIRC, Judging from the pics, one could have easily gutted the single speed case stuff and installed the 2 spd gears, since at least in the diagram, they looked similar, just missing some parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts