Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m just wondering if any of you folks have come across this problem before.

This is an LT95 out of a Stage 1 V8. It came as standard from Land Rover fitted with a CV drive shaft.

This is an LT95 out of an early Range Rover. It came as standard from Land Rover with a normal UJ jointed drive shaft. When the correct output flange for the CV drive shaft was fitted it became obvious that the joint was going to interfere with the vacuum unit for the Centre diff lock. If you compare the two photos you will see why.

Did Land Rover do this kind of thing just to confuse us:(

Nigel

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Slightly speaking out of my backside, but if you remove the vacume pod and replace it with linkage, is there still going to be interferance. Slade, got any pics of the linkage from your little green 'jeep'.

BTW Nigel, I couldn't see the attached pics.

-Jeff

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
9V said:
i can see them fine. looks like you need to take some more parts from the Stage 1 to use on the RR case?
Adam

If you look at the pics you will see that the output housing on the Stage 1 box is longer. You would have to swap the whole housing and any of the internals affected by that.

Quite a costly procces I would imagine:eek:

Anyone got any ideas why Rover suddenly decided to fit a CV drive shaft to the Stage 1 when the Range Rover had been running for years on a normal UJ shaft?

Nigel

·
Registered
158 Posts
gon2far said:

Anyone got any ideas why Rover suddenly decided to fit a CV drive shaft to the Stage 1 when the Range Rover had been running for years on a normal UJ shaft?

Nigel
Don't confuse the issue by trying to rationalise why Rover did things they way they did.... :D

You need to make a spacer - I am assuming you are running the dblCV for lift at the front so you probably have some room to move on the splines....

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
JSBriggs said:
Slade, got any pics of the linkage from your little green 'jeep'.

-Jeff
Hmmm....I can't remember if I shot any pics of the shift linkage. It's been a while since I browsed through that folder, lemme look.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bodgerover said:

Don't confuse the issue by trying to rationalise why Rover did things they way they did.... :D

You need to make a spacer - I am assuming you are running the dblCV for lift at the front so you probably have some room to move on the splines....
We offered this solution to the guy. Put the standard LR output flange back in the box and we will turn up an adaptor between that and the larger diameter CV joint flange. The adaptor moving the larger diameter out past the vacuum unit.

This LR isn't lifted at all so eventually we decided to put a custom length UJ jointed drive shaft in there.

I am still scratching my head as to why LR fitted the CV joint in their un-lifted Stage 1:rolleyes:

I posted this just to see if this was a little known fact about early RR boxes or if it was a well known part of LR folklore.

Nigel

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what I remember reading years ago. You know on a Series 1-ton that is factory lifted that they had to notch the crossmember. Well, the front output on the LT95 is further back in the chassis than the Series tranny. The driveshaft angle is actually lesser in this case, which means that the driveshaft would hit the crossmember even if it is notched. So they added the double joint to make it miss. It gave it the effect of moving the output flange closer to the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts