Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Rear discs in the future. I am searching for an IFS rear axle to set up with discs, cro mo axles, etc.
For now drums.
If you plan to do comps use an early (narrow) axle. I think Poly stil has a supply of short cro-mo axles for cheap.

· Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I thought the IFS axle was the hot ticket.
I have the narrow axle now. It looks like it may have some from clearance issues when flexing.
Unless you are running wheels with 4" or more backspace you shouldn't have clearence issues. Maybe the tread profile of the Maxxis tires could be a problem as i've never looked at them up close. The idea is that the 1.5" extra room on each side will help clear the gates more then having the width will add to your stability. I've worked on my turning radius by dialing in my front ram and steering, adding the selectable lockers front and rear, and swapping to the narrow rear axle. This Winter i'll cut the back of the rig off to shorten the wheelbase by moving the rear axle forward and that's about all there is to do. In comps every little bit helps. Also by clearence issues you mean the tires will touch the frame that's not a big deal unless they just plow into them, a little rubbing will be ok.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.