Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 421 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
Now we all knew the frame was likely non salvagable. So no suprises here. As you know I have couple frame options. But i just have to share some pics of what I found. It's beyond rough. After 70 solid years of service, this one will have to be laid to rest. RIP

I did some horse trading and scored some very interesting drivetrain bits today. But I'll save that for a later post. Don't want to show my cards just yet.....

The last shot is how i ended my day. I'm a happy man!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
That passenger side of tub looks damn good from a distance. I thought the same about the bondo. I think it was covering minor body issues, in an effort to make it very nice at one point. I could not see where the bondo was covering rust or patches.

That the new trailer???

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
That passenger side of tub looks damn good from a distance. I thought the same about the bondo. I think it was covering minor body issues, in an effort to make it very nice at one point. I could not see where the bondo was covering rust or patches.

That the new trailer???
Yes! New trailer is here. I'm afraid to load my junk on it. It's too pretty!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #185 (Edited)
Had a bit of time for some more Willys archeology. I removed the engine from the chassis and put it on a stand. In doing so I was pleasantly surprised to find a brand new clutch, fork and bearing. I forgot my old Willys tech and didn't wire up the T-90 before I removed the t-case. So I guess i'll be disassembling this T-90 in order to reassemble. Dumb mistake.

The trans looks near new inside. Seeing how this is a column shift trans, I'll spend some time putting it back together. I don't think I am going to reuse the column shift stuff. So at some point i'll service it and put it up for sale.

The t-case looks to be rebuilt as well. From the outside I didn't expect much. But all indications are that it's a low mileage unit. More good news!

The find of the day was the Brown-Lipe tag. I've yet to own a Model 18 that had this tag. The other 1946 Model 18 i have in the garage never had one. It's a 100% stock unmolested drivetrain.

Anyone have any idea why some have tags and others don't? Kind of cool nonetheless.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
It looks like the kids story was true so far. Rig needed a new clutch, it pulled it all apart, buddy gave him that fresh engine, so he took out the running one he had in it, and just never finished it ( i think because he realized the frame was toast) So if thats the case, there is no reason to not believe that the engine in my shed is not at least a running one.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
It looks like the kids story was true so far. Rig needed a new clutch, it pulled it all apart, buddy gave him that fresh engine, so he took out the running one he had in it, and just never finished it ( i think because he realized the frame was toast) So if thats the case, there is no reason to not believe that the engine in my shed is not at least a running one.
Agreed! I found the clutch rod to be broken/disconnected. Almost seems as if that's where the project ended.

Chassis is almost completely stripped. I'm about ready to unbolt and roll the axles out from under it. I'm trying to figure out how to dispose of this chassis with at least a bit of respect. I mean it's been around for 70 years. I think I'll have my son and soon to be son in law learn to use a plasma cutter on it. Let it go out in a blaze of glory! Ha!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
Well Friday night, I let my boy and future son in law reduce the junk frame to a pile of scrap. They had a good time and learned pretty quick how to use the plasma cutter. We could have easily used the recip saw. But when fire is an option.....we always pick fire.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
Today was a day of picking. news has traveled amongst some friends that I've started this project. So I drove a couple hundred miles today picking up frames. Scored 2 in fine, usable condition.

The one I will be using belonged to my good friend Mark. This is a 1953 CJ3B chassis. His grandfather bought this Jeep new. Five or six years ago, he brought the Jeep from CT to VT to begin the restore. Well life, some rough health and time just weren't on his side. So most of the parts were sold off. But not the frame. Mark had blasted it, done some boxing in the rear and added a nicely done tow hitch. Then it sat.....for the past few years. It was actually bolted to the wall of his shop, upright, to keep it safe and from falling on someone. Well, he offered it to me. This will become the bones of my project. It's nice to have some history to tell as I put this little project together.

If there is a negative, it would be that the motor mounts and the battery tray were removed. So those are on order from Walck's. Nice part is the updated body mounts and the tow hitch/rear crossmember.

The plan is some minor boxing, power steering box mount and a dual master upgrade. I'm going to keep the front bumper. It has just the right amount of "patina" for the look I'm after.

I couldn't resist sliding the axles under the chassis.

It's been a great 24 hours. There is potential that a 3A will be arriving tomorrow.....with a fresh motor. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #190 (Edited)
family says I need an intervention. Meh....

So this arrived today - another 1946 CJ2A. It's pretty much totally roasted. But for some reason, someone put some time into freshening up the motor. I wouldn't call it rebuilt - just refreshed I guess. It runs like a top despite the fact that the carb looks like it spent a decade in a mud puddle. The body is 100% untouched, as in not a single patch. The 3A windshield must have been added at some point. It's nearly mint. There is a pretty neat radio mounted in the dash. I've never seen one quite like it. Not sure what to make of the NHRA sanctioned hood scoop. But it's pretty sweet! Wife says, make it drivable and safe, and go to cruise night as is. It's not a bad idea.

Anyway, don't really know what the plan is at this point. But I've emassed enough junk in the last couple weeks to feel pretty good about putting a solid flatty together. Time to really get cracking!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Does the radio work?

Skip
Sure would be cool if it did...

Got good news from a machinist friend. He looked at the low mileage block and claims there is an epoxy make specifically for these repairs. Says he can fix it easily. We have nothing to lose I guess.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I love how this jeep build came full circle its pretty cool. Love every bit of this thread from the history to the build to the second build.

I have a CJ7 but i recently picked up an issue of JP and a 3B was on the cover and i fell in love with the high hood.

I just need to convince my wife i need it in my life. There must be a cool patina body out here in SOCAL somewhere.

Funny story I joined the military a few years back but im from Mass. :) :) :)

My folks actually live the next town over from BKWUDZ.

If im ever in the area again I'd totally like to stop by and check out your 3B just for shits and giggles.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I love how this jeep build came full circle its pretty cool. Love every bit of this thread from the history to the build to the second build.

I have a CJ7 but i recently picked up an issue of JP and a 3B was on the cover and i fell in love with the high hood.

I just need to convince my wife i need it in my life. There must be a cool patina body out here in SOCAL somewhere.

Funny story I joined the military a few years back but im from Mass. :) :) :)

My folks actually live the next town over from BKWUDZ.

If im ever in the area again I'd totally like to stop by and check out your 3B just for shits and giggles.

Thanks. You're welcome any time.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Encouraged that this block may be usable, I pulled the head off. Motor has been rebuilt. Bores are .060 over. No real lip/ridge in the cylinder. I would still have to disassemble it though. It needs to be hot tanked. The mice have blocked up the water jackets pretty good. But I think a quick valve grind, deck, new studs and a hone would do it. I'll make some calls and see who might be willing to do the job.

Found some new mounts in a bucket in the new acquisition. Also found a set of new 9 inch brakes kits, a new master cylinder and some misc other goodies. Anyway, I had a pretty mangled crossmember on the other chassis i have. I removed it and spent some time loving it with a 2lb sledge. It came out damn good! I mocked it up in preparation for the arrival of the ridiculous slew of chassis parts that are on their way.

My goal is to get a good start on the boxing this weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I had to put the newest 46 away. It was becoming a distraction. I've been fiddling with this thing all week and not attending to the task at hand. So I put it up on dollies and tucked it away for now.

I got a bunch of of parts this week. The new motor mounts and battery tray came in. Well guess what - the repop stuff isn't even remotely close. I called the vendor and we talked for a while - Walck's - extremely helpful. Anyway, these are the parts. You pretty much have to modify and work these things onto the chassis. Seemed and bit silly to me. So I went at the spare frame with a grinder and removed the motor mounts. The repop battery tray is a CJ2,MB,GPW piece. It's a nice piece. But it's not close to working with a 3A/3B frame. This is the only one being repopped at the moment. So, I'm going to return it all. At this point this thing will be such a mongrel, I'm just going to get an Optima mount and whip up some bracketry.

Also mocked up the pedals. But I'm going to rework the repop brackets a bit. It's not quite square to the frame rails. Shocker.....

Little bit of a frustrating day. But in the end I did accomplish quite a bit.

Next up - boxing....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I had to put the newest 46 away. It was becoming a distraction. I've been fiddling with this thing all week and not attending to the task at hand. So I put it up on dollies and tucked it away for now.

I got a bunch of of parts this week. The new motor mounts and battery tray came in. Well guess what - the repop stuff isn't even remotely close. I called the vendor and we talked for a while - Walck's - extremely helpful. Anyway, these are the parts. You pretty much have to modify and work these things onto the chassis. Seemed and bit silly to me. So I went at the spare frame with a grinder and removed the motor mounts. The repop battery tray is a CJ2,MB,GPW piece. It's a nice piece. But it's not close to working with a 3A/3B frame. This is the only one being repopped at the moment. So, I'm going to return it all. At this point this thing will be such a mongrel, I'm just going to get an Optima mount and whip up some bracketry.

Also mocked up the pedals. But I'm going to rework the repop brackets a bit. It's not quite square to the frame rails. Shocker.....

Little bit of a frustrating day. But in the end I did accomplish quite a bit.

Next up - boxing....

If my dumpster did not picked up, which it should not have yet, I can grab the battery tray off the 3b frame I scrapped, the back of the frame was toast, but the front was very good. I grab it Tuesday

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I had the same issue with some repop stuff, it's just not close, it's pretty annoying. I needed 3 body mounts, they were so different I ended up replacing all of them so they would match.

181 - 200 of 421 Posts