Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 421 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
more hunting and picking.....

Found one of the final pieces to the puzzle - a good low mileage motor! Also scored some sheet metal in very nice shape. The tailgate, although tough to see due to the surface rust, is nearly mint. One of the nicest I've stumbled upon. Same for the fenders. Only minor patches needed. The ones i have from the blue jeep are decent enough. But i couldn't pass these up.

Time to assemble and install a drivetrain..... More to come.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Motor is "restored"

I had to swap to a 3A motor plate and a 2 groove pulley. So I just tore the whole motor down for inspection and re-gasket. Out of the three exhaust manifolds I have, I found only one not cracked. Refurbished the PVC system. The plasti-gauge gave me good news. The motor is like new inside. I had the oil pan restored. But decided at the last minute to use a skid plate pan off the parts motor. I'll restore that pan and button up the motor this week.

Curiously I found this is a "u" motor. I could find no info on it on any CJ2A or 3A data base. Come to find out this is a motor from a utility wagon, hence the "u"

Boy this is really turning into a mongrel.....

53 CJ3B frame
46 axles (I think)
78 CJ brakes
70's wheels
early 46 body
47-8 ish wagon motor
48 T-90
46 D18
and a partridge in a pear tree......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
making progress....

Drivetrain is all buttoned up. New clutch and rebuilt t-case. Trans is a good used take out. Once I got the drivetrain dropped in the chassis, I realized I installed the wrong flywheel. So I'm dropping off the correct one at the machine shop today. Oh well. Have to pay for my dumb mistake.

My next project is to fab up alternator and PS pump mounts. The Jeep came with both. But they are sketchy at best. So I'm going to redo them. Once that's done, brake refurb and lines.

Attachments

·
Willys Fan
696 Posts
Really looking great! I really like the balance you've made between stocker and upgraded elements. Very cool!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Really looking great! I really like the balance you've made between stocker and upgraded elements. Very cool!
Thanks!

I really just want it safe and easy enough for my wife to drive now and again. i figure power steering and good brake are a must.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Flywheel swap is done. In doing so, I discovered some issues with the T-90. It's wasted. So with help from a friend, I sourced another trans. He dropped it off and I started to clean it up. Found a 1955 date code on the trans. The t-case is a later model with the 1.25 intermediate shaft. So I just swapped everything out. It's an all around upgrade.

No pics, as well, it looks exactly the same..

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
It's official. I HATE this f***ing Jeep!!!!

God damn it if everything I touch isn't a nightmare. This list is endless. But I've overcome all the little nuances. Tonight, I've lost my patience.

So time for the brake rehab and general front end maintenance. Driver side comes apart beautifully. Axle shaft is great. Bearings look excellent. So new seals rotors and brake bits - good to go.

Passenger side - not so much. Drive flange takes some work to get off. Stub shaft splines are pretty chewed up. But other than that, everything is looking good. Well that is until it's time to remove the axle shaft. It will not budge! I've thrown everything at this thing and i can not get this shaft out. I've built 60's, 14 bolts, Rockwells and even big truck axles. This little 25 has defeated me.

Any ideas/tricks to get this shaft out?

My other option is to just swap the 25 from the roller into the new chassis. Damn Jeeps.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
You think it is "rusted" in? Plenty of hard hubs to pull, but never a shaft....

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
You think it is "rusted" in? Plenty of hard hubs to pull, but never a shaft....
I don't think so. Inside the diff looks super clean, no rust. I'm guessing the splines were boogered up and someone in the past hammered the shaft home.

I have an idea i'm going to try later that might work. If not.....I'm scrapping the bitch!:mad3:

221 - 240 of 421 Posts