Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Subscribed!....PM or txt me with your email and I think I have a few more pics for you....Ran into a guy at my $145 fuel stop in Longmeadow yesterday with a nice stock 3A. He says he is going down to the jeep rally next weekend in Ellington. And Todd has his Willys run this weekend I believe?
Any of you guys going to bring a rig to the rally? I am planning on going. Although at this point its looking like I will be making the trek from northern NH by myself

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Any of you guys going to bring a rig to the rally? I am planning on going. Although at this point its looking like I will be making the trek from northern NH by myself
I'd like to make the rally. But our club run is the same weekend. I'll have to make a choice here pretty quick....

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Out in Moab I saw 1st hand the wonders of the red label Krawler. Shortly after our return, i bought a set off Pirate as well as a set of wheels off Pirate.

The difference was incredible. That said, the rear leaves were having none of it! So we linked up the rear and suspended it with King 2.0 air shocks. we managed to lower the rig a tad with the new suspension set up. Quality BBCS shocks were added to the front and the set up was just about ideal.

The rig remained virtually unchanged until 2010. This is how it looked before the changes in 2010.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Best picture ever.......LOL
Sooooooo........... Not that I really want to know but whats the guy doing with his head in your lap? I see that you have a big a$$ smile.......

:shaking:

Haha :laughing:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sometimes you gotta do things you really don't want to........it was a gas can dumping gasoline all over the place.....at least my face isn't in that pic!
Sooooooo........... Not that I really want to know but whats the guy doing with his head in your lap? I see that you have a big a$$ smile.......

:shaking:

Haha :laughing:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am gonna head down with Mike Thompson and the comp buggy...tryin to decide wether or not I wanna blow the dust off my flatty or not.......

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
2010 saw my rig out at KOH. We ran support for 019 Clayton Walters as well as some general wheeling. Just prior to the trip I swapped in a TH350. We put just under 500 miles of pre-running and wheeling on the rigs that week in the desert! It was an amazing trip.

couple things I learned out there:

V6 power just doesn't cut it any longer. Although I did manage a blazing 57 miles per hour across the lakebed :rolleyes:. The stall speed was way too low. Being my 1st automatic, I figured there were some adjustments that would need to be made. Lastly, the air shocks just weren't going to cut it it i were to ever haul this kind of weight again. The fuel, spare, tools etc quickly overwhelmed the 2.0's.

If I were to ever go back to KOH, there would have to be some changes.

Here's a few shots of the rig in "support" mode.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here's a couple of East Coast flattys in action from last weekend.

First is Rick B in his 40 something. This rig was built by Terry (?) Howe years back. It ran some west coast comps and did well. Rick bought it somewhere around 2001. He's made some changes over the years, most notably the 3 link rear with King air shocks. It's powered by a 4.3, TH350 to a D18. Axles are 44's front and rear with alloy shafts. After all these years it still works great and gets wheeled on a regular basis.

The next is John B. Truthfully I'm not even sure what this thing is made of. It's a 49. Axles are 44's with 5:38. Tires are 37 Irocks. It's powered by an odd-fire hooked to a T-18. John's done a custom coil spring 3-link all the way around. It doesn't look like much. But it goes like stink. He's got almost 2 decades behind the wheel of thsi one. I'm sure that has a lot to do with how well it goes......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
next phase.....

The plan was to run support for 327 Lambert Motorsports in the 2012 KOH. But circumstances prevented us from making that trip. In prep for 2012....and now 13, I began to make soem changes in the winter of 11. I started by building these:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Motor is a 350. It's a realtively mild motor. Comp cam, 1.6 rollers, low RPM torquer manifold, HEI and a modified big block Holley TBI. We have it pretty dialed in at this point and she runs very well. I would guess it's sub 300 horse. Maybe 275-290ish. But coming from a 100HP V6.....it's more than enough to get me dead.

The trans - a TH350 again, build more for relaibility than anything else. It has a mild kit, a 2200 stall an a good sized cooler. So far it's been outstanding.

This kind of brings me to the current state my Jeep is in. I will shoot some pictures in the garage this week and highlight some other changes made for the upcoming trip.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It's been a while since i've updated.

Prep for KOH 13 is in full swing. I gave some thought to entering the Everyman Challange. But in teh end have decided to just run support for Lambert Motorsports.

Goals are pretty basic:

slightly more fuel capacity, better storage, safer rear firewall and maximized suspension travel.

I installed the King coilovers and bumps last year. They work great. But my install wasn't the best. I had to make some compromises. So this round I removed the crossmember that was limiting up travel. Also I installed the bumps incorrectly. They need to be raised several inches. So basically for the rear, I am correcting my mistakes.

couple shots of it at full stuff. I should end up with 8 inches of up travel and 8 inches of droop in the rear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I got a few things done over the holiday. The fuel cell mount/tray is pretty much done. I offset the cell to the passenger side as much as I could. This left me with about 5 inches of space on the driver's side of the cell. I'm going to use this space for some storage. I whipped up a storage box out of 16 gauge. It's about perfect for quart size bottles. But I think I will use this space for recovery gear. I just need to figure out a lid/retainer. I bought straps for the fuel cell. They were wimpy pieces of shit. So i made my own. Next on the list is to start bending up a firewall and floor for teh rear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Sooooo......KOH trip is off. It was a tough decision. But i found out just after Christmas that my job was coming to an end. We are getting bought out. With almost 200 employees, I just couldn't leave them to fend for themselves. The good news is that almost everyone will land on their feet with the new company. My personal situation is still up in the air.....so my wife thought it would be good therapy to just keep building as if i were still going. So that's what I'm doing. Interior is ready to be reinstalled. I now have a proper rear bulkhead. I went a little overkill with the Dynamat, i know. but what the hell. It should cut the exhaust noise and heat in half. Rear bumpstops have been reworked and installed properly. Next is to reconfigure the upper shock mounts. So yeah, it blows the trip is bagged for a second year in a row. But what are you gonna do....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Some progress.....

solved the misc storage issues. I'm pretty happy the way it worked out. I need to come up with some sort of cooler mount. But that shouldn't be to hard given the room i have now.

Shock mounts are reconfigured and corrected now. I have a solid 8 inches of up travel. The bumps are nearly at the perfect height. Overall, should be a vast improvemnt.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 421 Posts