Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 421 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
and lastly for today - front axle. About 30 minutes of welding left today. Then it's ready to blast, paint and load. The fittings for the ram will point slightly down. It's unlikely they would ever get hit. But why chance it - hence the skid plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Job well done son....A job well done.....And now we shall wheel and sing the meat song and there will be much rejoicing!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I swung the axle under the rig for the last time. It's finally off the jack stands and sitting on it's tires for the 1st time in a while. Tasks left - hydro lines and brake lines. Have to document this as this is the last time it will look this clean and pretty!:smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Like the pics and the build is great! Glad to see someone wheeling something for so many years solidly too!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Houston, we have a problem......maybe.

I'm wrapping up the build on the front of my Jeep. I'm about to add fluids to the steering system. But reading in this thread:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1612202-hydro-hoses.html

I'm now concerned. I dont recall if I ordered the wrong hose, of if they just sent it in error. It's been so long. In any case i've built lines with hoses rated at 1750 PSI - and paid no attention until now. Not smart. I am now worried that this is too low a rating.

So those with full hydro or even assist - your thoughts? Should I scrap this set of hoses and redo with a higher rating? I'd rather do it now if the consensus us that it's needed, rather than wait for a trail problem.

Input?

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I think that's on the lower end of what you can use--I was trying to recall what mine were--seems 2500psi or more and then looking around on PIRATE I've seen 3000psi and 4750psi so far….

you can read thru this to see if there's any more info---

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/852000-totm-hydro-assist-steering.html
thanks.

I found the specs on the hose I have - 1750 working PSI with a 7000 PSI burst. The pump I have should be putting out 1400 working PSI.

Does a trail rig really see PSI spikes that big? I don't really know. Yes - I suppose I can see a KOH car hitting a rock at speed producing that kind of spike.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
You did! That's how i discovered this "issue" of my own making.

yep - I think you are right. I need to swap this out and get a larger margin of safety. Damn it.....
Keep the existing ones for some trail spares?

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
No pictures to post.....but it's a driver finally! I swapped the hydro hoses for 4000psi units. It sucked to spend the money twice. But it was the right call. I'll shoot some pictures of the details as I wrap up....

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
How do you like the steering? I think we have the same set up ;)

Post some pics dammit �� LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Steering is a little weird. No return to center. That and the steering wheel just seems too big now (15 in) It seems disproportionate to the the steering reaction. So I have a 12.5 in wheel coming. Other than that - feels good - effortless. Of course I didn't get far, seeing how it was 8 degrees during my test drive. yeah.....New England sucks.

I'll post some pics soon!

81 - 100 of 421 Posts