Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an easy TBI air cleaner question.

What is the base size for the 2.8L TBI vs the 4.3/5.0/5.7L TBI vs 7.4L TBI?

Are they interchangable?

The reason I ask is from what I recall, the "old" 2.8L TBI engine(at least in the 86ish S10s) had the map sensor mounted to the air cleaner. I am working on a TBI conversion using a 7.4L TBI unit and would like a clean looking install. I think the sensor on the air cleaner would look better than anywhere else I could mount it(also would help the wiring)

Any related input would be appreciated even if it is just to give the dimensions on one of the three types.

TIA,
John

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
map

I have 4.3 in my sammy I used a painless kit and the map sensor mounts under the dash along with the esc and relays it makes the under the hood clean the only thing is the egr contol.

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually used a painless harness in the past and didn't care for it(that is putting it nicely)... part of it was the map in the cab, part of it was the distrib disconnect location(ie used for setting the timing)

My issue is I'm doing a TBI conversion on a BB Caddy. Very few of the sensors and such are going to be in the same location(distributor in the front, water temp may be going to the rear, etc) so I'm going to make a custom harness. Not too hard of a job in my opinion:D

My hope is that I can use the 2.8L TBI air cleaner so I don't have to run the map vacumn line all over the place... just a simple out the TBI to the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ANYONE?!? Just a simple measurement of the TBI aircleaner.

I'd REALLY appreciate it :)

·
Registered
37 Posts

Are they interchangable?

The reason I ask is from what I recall, the "old" 2.8L TBI engine(at least in the 86ish S10s) had the map sensor mounted to the mr gasket air cleaner assembly. I am working on a TBI conversion using a 7.4L TBI unit and would like a clean looking install. I think the sensor on the air cleaner would look better than anywhere else I could mount it(also would help the wiring)

Any related input would be appreciated even if it is just to give the dimensions on one of the three types.

TIA,
John
Like lik John, I also use, I mean I actually used a painless harness you can try it too for you to see.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Are they interchangable?

The reason I ask is from what I recall, the "old" 2.8L TBI engine(at least in the 86ish S10s) had the map sensor mounted to the air cleaner. I am working on a TBI conversion using a 7.4L TBI unit and would like a clean looking install. I think the sensor on the air cleaner would look better than anywhere else I could mount it(also would help the wiring)

TIA,
John
just use a MAP bracket off a 88-91 TBI 350 chevy or GMC fullsize truck, mounts to the intake bolts and looks good if you clean it up and paint it, i might have one if thats the route you choose

·
Registered
52 Posts
oh i also have the stock air cleaner base off a TBI 4.3L i can measure if you would rather have the measurement

1 - 8 of 8 Posts