Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been through about 3 starters in the last six months (the last one made it six weeks) and it is the same story for all...put the starter in and then I start waiting for a turn of the ignition that causes a grinding noise. I might be able to start the truck for weeks before it happens again, but gradually the noise becomes a bit louder and then bang/grinding/ and the starter is dead.

Sometimes the starter itself it broken - in pieces - and sometimes it just looks like some teeth are missing - and sometimes there is no real physical damage that I can see.

I am running a V8/auto in a FJ40 (for years) and the only change I have made is an electric ignition systems out a blazer. Someone said that it could be a timing issue and the flywheel is banging back against the flywheel, and someone else said the ignition switch.

My fear is the flywheel, but I don't see any damage and a local shop suggested it could be warped, but I have had the truck for years and never had the problem before.

I think the starter may not be disingaging, but don't know why that might be happening.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
614 Posts
So you have a Chevy right? Is the starter properly shimed? The flywheel can be inspected by taking the lower cover off or the starter and turning the motor over by hand and carefully inspecting each tooth.

The quality of the starters you use will play an important roll in their longevity. A/C Delco's are one of the best stock type starters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts