Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Im picking up an eaton HO72 with 4.88s but need 5.14s. Is this the only way to get gears for these big axles? Cant buy new? Just buying used/trade?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Im picking up an eaton HO72 with 4.88s but need 5.14s. Is this the only way to get gears for these big axles? Cant buy new? Just buying used/trade?
I have to admit, that I do not know, but in my opinion, just try to find a complete carrier that has the 5.14's. Then just switch it out for your 4.88's. That way you know the gears and the carrier are compatible. Sometimes you have to have a specific carrier for a range of gears. That is true for a 14 bolt for sure.

If you want to buy a complete 5.14 carrier, send me a PM and I will put you on my list. If one comes up, you can work a deal to buy and ship it with the seller.

As was said before, I get nothing out of it except a good feeling.:laughing:

Larry W.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Actually,

If you could drive to Southern CA, I have one you could get for free; hub to hub, brakes and all. Guy just wants it gone. Sorry I forgot this one is a 4.10, but it is still free if you wanna drive to get it. It would be good for parts or to sell or trade with someone over here on the east coast.

Larry W.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
4.88s were not offered for this axle. The only ratios available are 4.10, 4.56, and 5.14.
He may have the 4.56's. Just spinning the yoke, it wouldn't seem much different probably. Hopefully it's not just the wrong axle.

Since you brought that up, I still have someone wanting to trade a 4.56 carrier.:eek:

Larry.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
I have to admit, that I do not know, but in my opinion, just try to find a complete carrier that has the 5.14's. Then just switch it out for your 4.88's. That way you know the gears and the carrier are compatible. Sometimes you have to have a specific carrier for a range of gears. That is true for a 14 bolt for sure.

If you want to buy a complete 5.14 carrier, send me a PM and I will put you on my list. If one comes up, you can work a deal to buy and ship it with the seller.

As was said before, I get nothing out of it except a good feeling.:laughing:

Larry W.
Thanks, Ill send u a PM!

Actually,

If you could drive to Southern CA, I have one you could get for free; hub to hub, brakes and all. Guy just wants it gone.

Larry W.
Gonna send you a PM as well.

4.88s were not offered for this axle. The only ratios available are 4.10, 4.56, and 5.14.
He may have the 4.56's. Just spinning the yoke, it wouldn't seem much different probably. Hopefully it's not just the wrong axle.

Since you brought that up, I still have someone wanting to trade a 4.56 carrier.:eek:

Larry.
That may be the case, he told me 4.88s but probably 4.56s are it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, Ill send u a PM!

Gonna send you a PM as well.

That may be the case, he told me 4.88s but probably 4.56s are it.

Don't feel singled out. I bought a 4.10 14 bolt and didn't check it myself for various reasons...turned out to be a 3.42 LOL.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Lol, I won't get too hung up over it.

Do u guys run these axles on long trips or freeways?

Mines going under a daily driven H3 that gets driven 700+ miles to Moab, the rubicon, locally to hammers at freeway speeds. I know parts can leave me in a bind due to rarity. I don't drive it on a trailer after wheeling so that's my only concern. Seems R&P is a non issue, but wheel bearings, pinion bearings, carrier bearings can they be found somewhat easily?

I have a parts list of all those bearing #s they just seem pricey, I'm more worried about availability then price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im in SoCal and in need of a 4.10 diff for my K20 suburban restoration. If it gets to me shoot me the info on the free one, if not keep me on the list.

Thanks

Tony

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Not sure my PM went through yesterday could I get the contact info of the guy in so cal

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Lol, I won't get too hung up over it.

Do u guys run these axles on long trips or freeways?

Mines going under a daily driven H3 that gets driven 700+ miles to Moab, the rubicon, locally to hammers at freeway speeds. I know parts can leave me in a bind due to rarity. I don't drive it on a trailer after wheeling so that's my only concern. Seems R&P is a non issue, but wheel bearings, pinion bearings, carrier bearings can they be found somewhat easily?

I have a parts list of all those bearing #s they just seem pricey, I'm more worried about availability then price.
There's one pinion bearing that is hard to find and very expensive. It also almost never goes out from what I've seen. Last I checked, Randy's Ring & Pinion had it as a standard stock item, but it was big $$ (several hundred for the one bearing) as pinion bearings go.

Wheel bearings are more expensive than other comparable axles, but they're very close to the same size as 14-bolt, and nearly as available as standard 14-bolt stuff. Carrier bearings are similar--expensive, but available. Most parts stores will have to order-in the odd ones (inner wheel bearings, carrier bearings) but can usually have them in a day or so. The outers are pretty readily available.

I'd make sure to keep it up on oil and drive it without fear of bearings going.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Free 4.10 HO72 spoken for.

Ok Guys. Looks like 06 H3 is going to end up with the free 4.10 rearend in So Cal.

Thanks for saving it from the scrap heap. That would have been a waste.

Larry W.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts