Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting a ford drive train in my heep project this time around. got an injected 302,c4 (with extra planetaries)and thinking about an EB 20.
How strong is an EB 20?

Low gear kit?

What doubler kits are available to use with it?

Read something about Lame duck?

truck will be 115 WB, 60's F&R, 42 Iroks, 4:56 diffs, detroits. It will be driven pretty hard. Any other case thoughts? thanks, dave

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Keep it stock, stay off the rock...........:laughing:

·
Registered
461 Posts
The D-20 is a stout case in stock form, has some pretty good re-grearing options and is really stout with an upgrade to the rear output shaft assembly which tend to be its weakest link, said upgrade available from several sources. The 'Cold Duck' D-20 doubler has been araound for a long time..another option.

BUT..by the time you are done with all the mods listed above, you could have bought a nice case from any of the aftermarket sources like Klune, AA(Atlas), etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dana 20

A friend has the same setup a pretty wild 302/T-18 dana 20 he has a low gear kit forgett at the moment whos kit. He runs 37in boggers in a cj5 and drives very hard the only thing he didnt do at first was the heavy duty output shaft. So he put that in and all has been good now. Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jack OBrian gears 4.86 to 1

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
You can do a 203 doubler as well, www.wildhorses4x4.com has it.
Its a good case, just replace the rear output with a 32 spline and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yeah, you can do as Welndmn stated above or for the time and money that you would put into D20 (regear and heavy duty output shaft) you'd be better off going with a NP205 t-case. To lower the gears you can do a NP203 doubler quit easily too. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i've been going back and forth on the 205 thing. Its really just physically too big for what I want.
Where can I get low gears for a 20?

What about this lame duck setup? What can you tell me about it?
Thanks for the help. dave

·
Ford Bigot
4,098 Posts
If you go with the 4.86:1 transfercase gears and a new output, you'll be in that Dana 20 for at least $1900. For that much money you might as well go with a rocktrac 241, Atlas II or Stak.

http://bcbroncos.com/store/index.php?cPath=24_64

Cold ducks aren't really that common as EB Dana 20 cores are getting harder and harder to find. You might think about the 1354 (IIRC) doubler a guy made on here to a 205 or Dana 20 with a ZF adapter (same as the stock 205 bolt pattern).

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
35xj said:
yeah, i've been going back and forth on the 205 thing. Its really just physically too big for what I want.
Where can I get low gears for a 20?

What about this lame duck setup? What can you tell me about it?
Thanks for the help. dave
Yes, its called a Cold Duck.
No vendors make them anymore, you would have to make them yourself.
Down side is using a cold duck removes about 6 inches from your rear driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Teralow makes a 3.15 gearset for around $800.00 The 4.86 is around $1500.00 the extreme output is around $400.00 You may want to consider the atlas in 3.8, 4.3 or 5.0 they start around $2300.00 and go up from there Advanceadapters makes them, Good Luck Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
69 broncosport said:
Wild Horses still carries the Cold Duck They run $1100.00 for a t-shift setup and $1240.00 for a j-shift. the website is www.wildhorses4x4.com
Sorry dudes we discontinued the DUCK a few years ago due to lack of good cores. The stock D20s are tough depending on how you drive as long as you upgrade the output shaft. Our original vesion Extreme Duty Output kit is on sale this month. See the web site under specials if you are interested. If you are thinking about
$1500 low gears
$400 output
+ $125 rebuild kit
---------------
= ATLAS IMO Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have another Dana 20 question. I just finished rebuilding my J-Shift out of an EB (excellend rebuild kit from Wild Horses) and I was wondering what weight oil should I fill it with?

·
Registered
461 Posts
prater said:
I have another Dana 20 question. I just finished rebuilding my J-Shift out of an EB (excellend rebuild kit from Wild Horses) and I was wondering what weight oil should I fill it with?
50 wt

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
manual says 50wt.
I put 80/90 just because the tranny/diffs take it. easier to have 1 fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a question relating to connecting a speed sensor in the rear output housing. I would like a speedometer, but I'm not sure what to get to make it all work. This is for a 93 ranger w/ a C4. I saw in the Wild Horses catalog that they have a speed sensor for the stock bronco gage, what about an aftermarket gage?

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
p-man said:
I have a question relating to connecting a speed sensor in the rear output housing. I would like a speedometer, but I'm not sure what to get to make it all work. This is for a 93 ranger w/ a C4. I saw in the Wild Horses catalog that they have a speed sensor for the stock bronco gage, what about an aftermarket gage?
You would just need a Custom cabe made, if you got the WH Vss

1 - 20 of 20 Posts