41 - 60 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey man, good luck with the build. As far as the frame goes wherever you have a bolt holding something, ie. track bar, you want to build a truss and fab the bracket that was there. My frame was cracked at that point. High pinion in the front is good, full width=more stability. I bought a hp full width dana 44 I think will work great for wheeling but I would go one ton for koh. Bloodyknucklesgarage (cage) radius arms are the business no matter who or what you have. Good luck, Im going to keep up with your build.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I like the EB idea. But what about a NP 435/ Dana 20 combo? With the low first gear you'd get away without having to shift into 4 low all the time. And WildHorses sells a 3:1 kit for the dana 20 and HD output. With the 6.68 1st of the NP435 and a 3:1 in the case you'd already have a really low gear and a "medium" gear with the tranny in 1st.

BUT driving hell bent through the desert may suck with a standard that only really has 3 "useable" shit and get gears.....

Im watching this.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Do it! This EB was BAYUD. It had the floor cut out behind the seats, a 'sploder 5.0, auto, prolly a t-case of sorts, and chromoly this and that. It had a really good finish too!

And not to seem like a Jeeper fag, but this thing was the tits-

It had like an old NASCAR grand national Buick V6, but it sounded like they forgot to put the headers back on it before they left the garage. It was gawdayum FAST too!

Where are you from in Tn, mtbrjon?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks for the input. Manual trans is cool but shock loads in the whoops at speed are high and the "cushion" of a TC helps to save driveline components. Crawling is also smoother with the auto. I do like to shift though. Did a Ford ever have a SM465? I have a bombproof 465.

I have a full width HD 44 that will go in initially then swap later to a 60 or 609.

I'm outside Memphis.

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,590 Posts
Maybe the Stock Mod class is off the hook but I don't really see much room for creativity in the Stock class. Obviously a v8 Heep is going to be hard to beat but I just won't build a Jeep.
Oh, I dunno... Leaf springs, AMC V8, CJ5 is shorter wheelbase. Seems like a couple of large disadvantages to me..

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Do it! This EB was BAYUD. It had the floor cut out behind the seats, a 'sploder 5.0, auto, prolly a t-case of sorts, and chromoly this and that. It had a really good finish too!

It had like an old NASCAR grand national Buick V6, but it sounded like they forgot to put the headers back on it before they left the garage. It was gawdayum FAST too!

Where are you from in Tn, mtbrjon?
Explorer 5.0 would be a good way to pick up a decent gt40 5.0 and 4r70w trans cheap, you can usually find a wrecked one pretty cheap, although cash for clunkers has driven the price up a bit.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Oh, I dunno... Leaf springs, AMC V8, CJ5 is shorter wheelbase. Seems like a couple of large disadvantages to me..
Was thinking TJ Jeep. I'll kill a CJ with the Bronco.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Explorer 5.0 would be a good way to pick up a decent gt40 5.0 and 4r70w trans cheap, you can usually find a wrecked one pretty cheap, although cash for clunkers has driven the price up a bit.
Stock block, stock transmission case......

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Go for it man, I'm glad to see someone build an EB for the stock class.
I would have like to race mine, but it's WAY too far gone to bring back to the stock class and I've realized that the price to race is above my head right now, unless I can get a team together.
If I was to build one, it'd be a extra cab ranger with a 347 or 393 in the stock mod class.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Go for it man, I'm glad to see someone build an EB for the stock class.
I would have like to race mine, but it's WAY too far gone to bring back to the stock class and I've realized that the price to race is above my head right now, unless I can get a team together.
If I was to build one, it'd be a extra cab ranger with a 347 or 393 in the stock mod class.
Yea stock mod is attractive but cost way more to be competitive.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Can you run EFI or does it have to be stock induction also? I've run Mustang EFI set ups on many older 289/302 engines before.
Rules say stock block, no forced induction unless it came with it from the factory. Otherwise it's open. Every year I have heard many guys complaining about fuel delivery issues. That's why I think Propane would be best. Makes refuel easy as well.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
This is a cut and paste from the Ultra4 website. This is not all the rules. Stock class must meet all the safety rules in addition to these.

STOCK CLASS
The spirit of the stock class is to allow OEM and aftermarket vendors the opportunity to showcase their products while providing a venue for teams to compete in a true drivers class in vehicles that closely relate to street driven versions of the same. The driver of record will bear the burden of proving legality of any part of their vehicle including but not limited to; Motor/Transmission, frame length, suspension configuration.
6.3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES
6.3.1.1 Any and all four-wheeled, four-wheel-drive production vehicles are eligible for competition, providing they meet all the rules and regulations specified herein, and with the following limitations and exceptions: Minimum of one thousand (1000) units were produced by the original manufacturer for given model year, for given market/region. Vehicles produced for foreign markets may be imported for competition, but features and/or components found on vehicles produced for different regions/markets shall not be combined in any one vehicle if doing so would violate any rules or regulations specified herein.
6.3.2 FRAME & BODY
6.3.2.1 Stock frame (frame is considered to be the primary framerails and all permanently factory crossmembers) must be retained, and must be complete and unmodified. No material may be removed for any reason and no section of the frame may be 'massaged' or re-shaped with the following limitations and exceptions: The rear portion of the frame and rear crossmember may be removed or trimmed for the sole purpose installing an aftermarket rear bumper. Frames may be reinforced by adding material.
6.3.2.2 Stock body (body is considered to be the full cab, including all interior and exterior sheetmetal, bed, doors, hood, fenders, grill, etc.) required. Must be complete and unmodified, with the following limitations and exceptions: Holes may be cut in any part of the body for the single and exclusive purpose of allowing rollcage tubes and transmission/transfer case linkage to pass-through the body. Open holes must be kept to within .5" of the diameter of any tube or linkage that passes through the body, with further restrictions related to holes in firewalls specified in Section 6.1.3.4. Stock doors may be modified to create half-doors and/or may also be replaced with tubular doors.
6.3.2.3 Stock windows (glass) are not required, but are permitted, providing they meet DOT regulations. Alternatives to traditional safety-glass may be allowed, on approval of Hammerking Productions Inc.
6.3.2.4 Front inner fenders must be complete and unmodified, with the following limitations and exceptions: outer fenders (wheelwell openings) may be trimmed for the single and exclusive purpose of allowing for tire clearance. Modifications to the outer fenders must preserve the look of the stock wheelwells, as originally manufactured, and must not be trimmed
excessively (no more than a 2" gap between any part of the outer fender and the tire at full compression).
6.3.2.5 Front outer fenders may be replaced with OEM-style aftermarket fenders (flared fiberglass fenders are permitted).
6.3.2.6 Rear inner and outer fenders must be complete and unmodified, with the following limitations and exceptions: outer fenders (wheelwell openings) may be trimmed for the single and exclusive purpose of allowing for tire clearance. Modifications to the outer fenders must preserve the look of the stock wheelwells, as originally manufactured, and must not be trimmed excessively (no more than a 2" gap between any part of the outer fender and the tire at full compression).
6.3.2.7 Extensive damage to any portion of the frame or body (prior to race start) may be considered illegal modifications, and repairs may be required, as determined by, and at the sole discretion of the Chief Technical Inspector.
6.3.2.8 Stock body mounts may be modified or eliminated, with the following limitations and exceptions: The relationship of the body to the frame must remain within 1" of stock configuration, as originally manufactured. Stock body mounts shall not be modified or eliminated for any reason other than to allow any part of the rollcage to pass through the body in order to be securely attached to the chassis.
6.3.2.9 Factory head/taillights required, and must be functional.
6.3.2.10 Factory bumpers are not required, and may be modified or eliminated.
6.3.3 ENGINE
6.3.3.1 Stock engine must be retained, but may be replaced with any available in make/model/year. Any and all modifications are permitted, with the following limitations and exceptions: Stock engine-block must be retained, as originally manufactured (boring, stroking and other internal engine modifications are all permitted). Forced-induction of all types is not permitted, unless factory-equipped.
6.3.3.2 If equipped with a water-cooled engine, the radiator must remain within 6" of the original location, as originally manufactured.
6.3.4 TRANSMISSION
6.3.4.1 Stock transmission must be retained, but may be replaced with any available in make/model/year. Any and all modifications are permitted, with the following limitations and exceptions: Stock transmission case/s must be retained, as originally manufactured. Auxiliary transmissions (e. g. secondary transmissions, under / over-drives, etc.) are not permitted.
6.3.5 TRANSFER-CASE
6.3.5.1 Any and all transfer-cases are permitted, providing they meet all the additional rules and regulations specified herein.
6.3.6 DRIVESHAFTS
6.3.6.1 Any and all driveshafts are permitted, providing they meet all the additional rules and regulations specified herein.
6.3.7 AXLES
6.3.7.1 Any and all axle assemblies are permitted, providing they meet all the additional rules and regulations specified herein.
6.3.8 STEERING
6.3.8.1 Steering components may be modified or eliminated and and steering components/linkage may be installed in any location and orientation, with the following limitations and exceptions: All vehicles must retain some type of mechanical steering linkage (e. g. 'full-hydro' steering is not permitted, unless factory-equipped), and said linkage must be capable of controlling the direction of the steering wheels/tires without the benefit of any additional power-steering aids. The steering box (or rack, if so-equipped) must remain within 4" of the stock location. No part of the steering linkage shall be oriented so as to be partially or substantially parallel to the framerails or any part of the suspension linkage, with the exception of the drag-link and track-bar (if so-equipped, and unless otherwise-equipped, as originally manufactured). Rear-steer is not permitted.
6.3.9 SUSPENSION
6.3.9.1 Wheelbase must remain within 3" of stock, as originally manufactured.
6.3.9.2 Suspension configuration must remain stock, as originally manufactured (meaning that leafsprings must remain leafsprings, coilsprings must remain as coilsprings, torsion-bars must remain as torsion-bars, etc.).
6.3.9.2.1 Leafsprings may be replaced with any leafsprings and may be installed in any location and orientation, with the following limitations and exceptions: Leafsprings must be connected directly to the axle assembly, unless otherwise factory-equipped. Links/linkage may be installed, but the leafsprings must be capable of locating the axle assembly relative to the chassis in any direction without the use of any such links/linkage. As such, quarter-elliptical springs, transverse leafsprings, and the use
of double-shackles (at the forward and rear leafspring mounting points at the chassis) are not permitted, unless factory-equipped.
6.3.9.2.2 Coil-springs and related suspension linkage may be modified or eliminated and replaced with any coil-springs and linkage, and may be installed in any location and orientation, with the following limitations and exceptions: Coil-springs must be connected directly to the axle assembly and chassis and shall not be mounted in any way so as to yield any type of mechanical advantage, unless factory-equipped. Coil-springs shall not be replaced with any type of coil-over shocks, unless factory-equipped (if so-equipped, factory coil-over shocks may be replaced with aftermarket coil-over shocks).
6.3.9.2.3 Secondary suspension is not permitted, unless factory-equipped (secondary suspension is is considered to be any means or method of supporting any portion of a vehicle's weight and/or affecting the primary spring-rate at any time). As such, springs of all types, airbags, air-shocks and air/nitrogen-charged hydraulic bumpstops are not permitted. Compressible bumpstops made of rubber, foam, or other similar materials are permitted, with the following limitations and exceptions: Bumpstops shall not have any effect whatsoever on any aspect of a vehicle's performance outside of the last 2" of vertical wheel-travel (on compression).
6.3.9.3 Shock absorbers of any make/model/type are permitted and may be installed in any location and orientation, with the following limitations and exceptions: Only one shock absorber is permitted per wheel/tire (not including spare tires). Shock absorbers shall not be larger than 2.5" in diameter (outer diameter of shock-body) and shall not be capable of any more than 14" stroke. Position-sensitive shocks (including bypass shocks
of all types) are not permitted. Shock absorbers must be connected directly to the axle assembly and chassis and shall not be mounted in any way so as to yield any type of mechanical advantage, unless factory-equipped (mounting shock absorbers off-vertical is permitted and shall not be considered a mechanical advantage).
6.3.9.4 Manual suspension controls (e.g. forced hydraulics) are not permitted.
6.3.10 WHEELS & TIRES
6.3.10.1 Tires must be DOT-approved, with a maximum outside diameter of 35" (or equivalent), as specified on the tire’s sidewall by the original manufacturer, unless otherwise stated in supplementary regulations covering special events (e.g. Colorado hill climb events).

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I haven't talked to Dave about this but my take is these rules were designed to make a fairly level playing field. We had trouble with guys in the Ftoys always wanting to work around the rules and not keep within the "spirit of the class". I think I can build a capable, podium worthy stock class rig and stay completely within the rules and "spirit of the class". I don't want to reinvent this rig or any other for that matter. With strong parts and a well tested rig I think I can win.

41 - 60 of 416 Posts