Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a guy who has a dana 44 out of a 78 eb. It has disc brakes and posi. I would like to know if this axle will bolt up to my old stuff. I have a 1970 eb with a dana 30

Thanks a lot for the help.
Lou:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I am sure that it was a 77 cause he said it was off of an eb.
That would be awesome if I can pick this thing up and just bolt it in

THanks, anymore technical info is greatly appretiative.
Lou

·
Registered
19 Posts
ONe thing your gonna have to do is have your drive shaft shortened to fit the 44. Depending on which drive shft you have you may also have to change the piece on the end of the pinion that bolts to the drive shaft. You shouldn't have to deal with any steering or track bar stuff.

Galen

·
Registered
540 Posts
I thought the 76 - 77 D44's had a wider tie rod measurement from knuckle to knuckle than the D30's and early D44's. Could be wrong though.

About the DS, yeah what Galen said. And that pinion thingy is called a yoke. :flipoff2:

Must be Galen from the ebml???

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
And I was actually starting to wonder if that was a "yolk" :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actuallly I just talked to the guy and it is off a 78 so it is a bigger axle. anyone know how hard it is to put on.:D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Don't waste your time with the '78 axle unless you want to go fullwidth and are going to swap the rear axle as well.

Just wait for an EB axle to become availible.

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Lure said:
actuallly I just talked to the guy and it is off a 78 so it is a bigger axle. anyone know how hard it is to put on.:D
It's easy to put on. Probably no more than a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.
The hard and expensive part is getting it narrowed to fit. It's a HP44 and that's good, it also uses the bigger u-joints and axles so thats good. All you would need to do is get the passenger side narrowed so that's good. The bad part is if you can't do it yourself it will cost money and that's bad.
You can also install it full width but you'd have radius arm issues, drag link issues, spring perch issues, shock mounting issues, lot's of fender trimming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And if its HP, you probably need a 5.5" lift to keep the pumpkin from denting up your oil pan pretty bad. From what I have been told....

--Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't believe this guys not a NEWBIE!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts