Pirate 4x4 banner

EB: Is it lifted?

1K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Heyworth 
#1 ·
My 73' has 32s and has cut fenders with James Duff fiberglass flares. The top of the tailgate when open measures 31 inches from the ground. What is the stock height supposed to be? I am not sure if it alreay has a suspension lift, and would hate to buy a 2 inch lift if I already had one. With a 2 inch James Duff lift would I be able to fit 33s? Is it posible that I already have a 2 incher?

#3 ·
Measure from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the frame right beside of the coil spring. Stock is around 7" so if you have 9" you have a 2" lift. By the way, I may have a 3.5 inch lift if you are interested. Its an old style (stiff) Duff lift that will clear your 32's easily. Front coils, add-a leafs, maybe shocks, maybe a drop trac bar, and possibly a drop pitman arm. Depending on what I decide in the next few weeks. Let me know if interested.

clc900@yahoo.com

#6 ·
CheepJeep said:
I would be quite interested in te lift. Why do you no longer want it? How old is it? How long was it used? And finally, where are yo in MI?
No longer need it becuase I went with about 6" of lift. No idea how old it is. I do know it is NOT the new soft duff springs. The springs are quite stiff and I dont believe that duff sells these springs any longer. I live in Grandville. Our 4x4 club will be having a swapmeet/ show and shine on April 19. Your not that far away you should come check it out. We had guys from Ontario, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio who attended last year. Should be able to pick up some cool parts for your new purchase.

#7 ·
That sounds awesome. You are not far from me at all. My parents have a boat in Grand Haven that I spend most of my weekends on, and that is only about 20 minutes from you. What size tires did you have on your bronco with the 3.5 inch lift? Did you have to use axle shims? Do I have to drop the trac bar or pitman arm? It turned out that I had 7 inches between the axle and frame rail, and my 32s fit great with it now. I would like to go bigger, but not much. I want 33s, possibly 35s, but don't think the bronco would climb the dunes as well with the 35s or do freeway as well either.

#9 ·
OT...

That brown EB in your pictures... I assume that's your son's? Is it stock wheelbase? Are those 38's?

How did it do in Moab? I have been considering buying some 35" BFG's for Moab... I don't know how well 38.5's on 92" of wheelbase will do.

Doug

#10 ·
CheepJeep said:
That sounds awesome. You are not far from me at all. My parents have a boat in Grand Haven that I spend most of my weekends on, and that is only about 20 minutes from you. What size tires did you have on your bronco with the 3.5 inch lift? Did you have to use axle shims? Do I have to drop the trac bar or pitman arm? It turned out that I had 7 inches between the axle and frame rail, and my 32s fit great with it now. I would like to go bigger, but not much. I want 33s, possibly 35s, but don't think the bronco would climb the dunes as well with the 35s or do freeway as well either.
I had 33's which fit good. Later I put 35" bfgs on and they fit but it needed a little more lift. They would rub the inner fenders. If you are trying to get something together and get it on the road I may be able to help you out. If you want to spend more money and have better offroad performance then look at some bronco houses. Let me know what you want to do.

clc900@yahoo.com

#12 ·
CheepJeep said:
This is what it currently looks like with 32x11.5 BFG all terrains. Do you guys think it would look weird with a 3.5" lift and only 33s?

HOLY ChIt! Man that thing is clean looking!! Good score. :D What did you pay for it?

It might look a little tiny, but if it does, upgrade to 35's. :D I'm getting MORE lift for the opposite reason, the 37's look funny under her wiht not enough lift. ;)

#14 ·
CheepJeep said:
I got it and a trailer full of parts (2 doors, 2 windshields and frames, extra heater, half top, extra grill etc.) for $5200. And get this, the A-hole wanted the trailer back.
Dayum, I paid 4600 for mine, the guy started at 5200 but he gave me a break cuz I really wanted it...funny how that worked out. I got no spare parts, except for the fullsize spare, brand new 35 pro comp.
You scored, rust free too eh? I just noticed it over at CB.

#15 ·
Hell uva score man. Out here in Colorado the thing would go for $7000 w/o the extras. As a matter of fact I am buying a '72 off of a friend for a grand(donor truck), and its got a 3.5in lift with 33's and looks cool. But it all depends on what you want it for. Mine: I am going to do some rock crawling and heavy 4 wheelin in the Rockys so I don't want that much lift. probably 4.5 w/ 1-2in body.
So once you decide what the bronco it to be used for build to suit:flipoff2: BTW glad to see you came over to the dark side BWAHAAHAA! Have fun with her man:beer:

#16 ·
I want to blast the dunes with her. So, it probably already is high enough, but I want 33s not 32s. There are not any were near as many tires that are 32s, and I really want the clearance for 33s. But, I don't really want 35s. 35s would make the truck unnneccesarily slow, especially on the freeway.

#17 ·
Me thinks you might be wanting to upgrade trannies too. NP435, and T18's are the way to go. That way you get super low, and you can add a 1-2" body lift so the tranny clears and then 33's will fit no prob. Keep the rest us newbies posted, I'll try and get some pics of my shit up soon. If you get new gears 35's would be nothing....

#19 ·
Heyworth said:
Me thinks you might be wanting to upgrade trannies too. NP435, and T18's are the way to go. That way you get super low, and you can add a 1-2" body lift so the tranny clears and then 33's will fit no prob. Keep the rest us newbies posted, I'll try and get some pics of my shit up soon. If you get new gears 35's would be nothing....
He said bashing the dunes NOT crawling the rocks. No way in hell do you want a 435 for that!

#20 ·
CheepJeep said:
I want to blast the dunes with her. So, it probably already is high enough, but I want 33s not 32s. There are not any were near as many tires that are 32s, and I really want the clearance for 33s. But, I don't really want 35s. 35s would make the truck unnneccesarily slow, especially on the freeway.
I sent you an email back!

#23 ·
Doug K said:
how is it runnin' bad?

Doug
I've got a knock, and an exhaust leak somewhere near the manifold. :( Rear is about to blow I think, WAAAAAAAY sloppy and it threw me into the far lane last week going 5miles an hour. :(
Just a bunch of stuff I can't diagnose and can't fix right now. :( Oh well, she'll just sit in the garage till I can.

#24 ·
I've had a lot of knock problems from the old rocker arm nuts backing off their studs... I've also stripped out a couple of studs in my time...may want to check those.

As for the rearend...my 9" has quite a bit of backlash... not saying it's set right, but a little slop isn't totally abnormal...

let me see some pics when you get the 37's mounted.

Doug

#25 ·
I just read this thread and though, Who didn't have a uff 2 inch lift "back in the day" I ran mine with 32's and 33's worked fine, i guess, but yeah it was stiff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.