Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to put an early bronco radiator into my cruiser. the guy at the radiator shop said a 62-75 was the same the bronco would have a 302 and auto. where is the best place to find one of these and do the years sound correct???

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
EBs were produced 66-77. The 302 was offered from I think 68 or so until 77. What motor do you have in your cruiser? The EB radiator is notoriously under-efficient for the 351, and is barely adequate for the 302. I would look into an aftermarket 4-row or aluminum radiator from one of the EB parts houses rather than trying to source a stock EB radiator. For that matter I would think one of the Cruiser parts houses would have a decent replacement, no?

How are things in Lodi these days? (LHS class of '87)

Dusty

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the problem i have with after market or landcruiser is that they are all set up for a manual transmission and i'm running an auto and would like an internal tranny cooler. i have been told an internal cooler works a bit better than an external. i guess i may have to run an external cooler with my cruiser radiator. the motor in my cruiser will be a 305 for now soon to be a 350

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
the 302 wasn't added until 69, and there was no auto until 73...so unless it's a post-73 I'd doubt it would have an auto tranny cooler. As was said though, eb radiators suck...and for wheeling you definately want an external tranny cooler as offroading with an auto generates a lot more heat and you'll quickly kill the tranny otherwise.

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so do you think just an external tranny cooler is enough??? i'm talking about getting the biggest one summit or jegs has.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
contact Rich at R4x4 (805) 404-9969 and tell him I sent you. here's a link to his site, but it hasn't been updated in a while so the prices might not be right. Also I think those prices are "exchange" prices, so you might have to buy some tanks...

http://r4x4.com/radiators.htm

He might also be able to have a HD 4 core put into your tanks from your cruiser so no mods would be necessary...

I'm running the bronco one in my Jeepster/Bronco and I can't get teh Thermostat to open unless it's over 80 degrees out..

as for the tranny issue, run the biggest B&M stacked plate cooler, and put a fan on it. I don't like mine (on the Willys, not the Broncster) in the radiator cause it actually heats up the radiator more than it cools the tranny.... also put a B&M tranny temp gauge on it and keep the lines away from the headers/exhaust....

:usa:

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my cruiser radiator is a 4 core not stock but stock size. anyhow i have been led to believe a external cooler will not keep the tranny cool but with some many guys on here doing it i think thats the way i'm going to go. i'm also going to run one of those taurus fans so i think that will keep me cool. thanks for all the help.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
ironpig70 said:
my cruiser radiator is a 4 core not stock but stock size. there's a difference between a 4 core and a staggered row 4 core.. a staggered row will cool a ton better at slow speeds..

anyhow i have been led to believe a external cooler will not keep the tranny cool but with some many guys on here doing it i think thats the way i'm going to go. make sure it has access to fresh air (ie- not stuffed in the back corner of the engine compartment) and it's own fan and you'll have no problems...It might actually run too cool in some cases and you'll need a thermostat control of some sort on it's fan.

i'm also going to run one of those taurus fans so i think that will keep me cool. thanks for all the help. this will help a lot at slow speeds, as well as free up a few horses over a mech fan...

:usa:

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
A massive cooler may keep your tranny too cool and not allow it come up to running temp, that's probably why they said to use a rad mounted cooler...with stock cars it gets the atf up to temp quicker, but can't cool nearly as well as a seperate unit. Yellowsub is right on the money on it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts