Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a SAS for my ford explorer I am planning on using a Dana 30 from a coilsprung cherokee or TJ. I am using a D30 because of the price and i want to keep my 4.5 on 5. the question is: can i use radius arms from a EB on the d30? basically is there a kit or anyway to weld/bolt the diamonds onto the d30 shafts so i can use the raidus arms.

I was planning on using the control arms from the jeep but i think they will be too small, the late model explorer does not have much arc in the frame towards the front of the car.

also are jeep and EB springs the same diameter?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Older Broncos (pre 1972) used Dana 30s with Radius arms-I don't know , but maybe your knuckles would fit the early Bronco tubes. You could cut the stock EB knuckles off at the right length so that your shafts,etc... would fit it. The early bronco guys will just about give away a Dana 30, so look around. Classicbroncos.com has a classified section and they seem to pop up now and then.

I know this probably does'nt answer your ??? too well, but I have never seen anyone offer the pieces that are needed to weld to the axle. Maybe you could find one and cut the 'bumps' off????

WHy not just use a D44 out of a radius armed 1/2 ton Ford ??-Theyr'e must be someone who has figured out the wheel pattern.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I can understand wanting to swap in a solid axle but putting a D30 in place of your present D35 is a reduction in strength. The D35RC front end in your Explorer is a pretty decent, fairly strong diff. I believe it even uses the larger 297x joints. Heck the ring and pinion is every bit as strong, if not stronger, than a straight cut D44 that runs on the coast side of the gears. Just something to think about.:confused:Oh, yeah if your looking for the C-bushing wedges to weld on to an axle so you can use the Ford radius arms. You can get them from James Duff.:D

·
Registered
443 Posts
jeff-Yes that is a High pinion dana 44 up front and I gave the stock 30 away long ago. IMHO you're best/cheapest way to go is to buy a complete 44 front end w/ radius arms. Do you guys have any pull it yourself type yards out there?? I pulled this front end out of a '79 F-150 with the radius arms attached for about $180. I narrowed it myself (cut 6" out of pass side) and had the shaft cut and resplined ($60).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I found a dana 30 out of a 95 cherokee with everything including brakes calipers tierod drag link track bar and steering box. it has the 4.10's i need. They want 500 for everything. That is a little high i think but i dont think ill find one better than this so i am going to get it.

anyone know if 3.75 O.D 3.50 I.D. tubing is made? I need some to build up the axle housing so i can weld on the radius arm brackets to the axle housing.

what is the ideal angle i want the pinion at? how do i measure the caster so i know what bushings to get? do i want the mounts for the tie rod on the steering knuckles to be parrallel with the ground?

are the coil buckets that mount to the frame of EB welded or bolted on? does anyone sell these new or refirbed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, that is one high price for a XJ front end! If you plan to weld on your own coil buckets, and your own control arm mounts then you can use a 86-95 Wrangler axle. Its a D30 High pinion, but most Jeepers just throw them away and swap in D44's. If you get a '95 axle it will have 297-x u-joints instead of the smaller 260-x joints, but any axle housing can accept the larger shafts. Don't be afraid of the vaccum disconect front ends either, these can be scored cheaper, then the 2 peice axle shaft can be removed and a one peice shaft can slide right in.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
My buddy is planin the same thing. He currently has a 76 bronco too, with pleanty of spare parts. Even with that, he is putting on a link system kind of like the Rubicon Express long arm kit. One modification he is planning on making though, is the top arm on the passenger side is going to be held in with hitch pins so it could be removed easily. Basically, from what i have seen, that system will be easier to fab up too.

Just another idea to throw out.

Garrett

·
Registered
166 Posts
I see all of these jeeps with ford parts, why don't you guys quit messin around and get a ford?

:eek:

Adam

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.