Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and turned up very little, how common is it to do a shackle flip? can i get just as much flex without it? what springs are cxommonly used? right now i have a 2 1/2 rancho kit on there, it came with the truck and i think it is only blocks and an add a leaf. any advice would be apprciated
it is a 73.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I flipped the shackles on my 73, it gave me about 2 inches of lift, my flex seemed to improve but then again i did put new springs on at the same time,(wildhorse 3.5, 11 pack). The only problem I can see ya havin is the rear filler for the gas tank runs right above this, and the bracket pushes it up a little. I have a 2 inch body lift and was able to raise my tank so that this was no big deal.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I installed a 3.5" Wild Horses lift several years ago, back when the only rear springs that were available with their lift were the 10 leaf National packs. Over the years, the 10 leaf packs sagged quite a bit so when I decided to stick 38s on, I made my own shackle flip. I went to the junkyard and picked up the rear leaf spring front hanger brackets off of the frame of an old flatbed (I brought all the batteries I could find for my Makita and drilled out the rivets). Then I cut the old brackets off of my frame (I have a '69) and bolted these brackets on. It got me about 3" more lift in the rear and, since my springs were sagging about 1.5" in the rear, it wound up stinkbugging a little. I think that this improved my flex quite a bit because I was able to mount Rancho 9012s angled forward from the rear axle and use ALL of their travel.

As a matter of fact, I am in the process of designing a link suspension to use air bags and have removed the leaf springs. Would you be interested in any of these parts? I would probably sell the whole setup for $100.

I've got a great picture of my rig uncut on 38s that I'll see if I can dig up.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts