Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that a hundred people or more have uprgaded the rear disc brakes on the LC's to eBrake calipers can you guys chime up and tell us what your final experience has been with your hand brake or have you changed over to the foot pedal.

I still run the hand brake but not with good quality braking power like the foot pedals setup on a Chevy, Ford and Dodge. Lot of opinions have said the weight of the truck is the demon and some have said pulling a hand brake is harder than pushing a foot pedal and some have said you must adjust the brake caliper in the rear better and some have said adjusting the proportioning valve is needed.

What has your experience been so far now that you have had the convertion awhile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same problem with my cady calipers. I have them adjusted right and you just can't get enough force with the hand brake arm. I don't think the weight is the problem because even just barely rolling, the break has trouble stopping the truck. I think the foot brake is the answer, but I haven't had the time to pursue it.

Also, I have a FJ80 MC and I needed a proportioning valve. I got the summit valve (made by willwood). The valve confused me until I realized that when the knob is loosened all the way up pressure to the back brakes is the least. This is where I have it now as my rear tires were locking up first.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Any one out there had any luck with the hand or foot brake situation. the block of wood parking brake works, but not the most practical.

Peter

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Have the stock hand brake, it'll hold on a slight incline but nothing more. The foot lever has two things going for it. Better lever arm and you can put more force on it with your leg. I rarely use the ebrake so I'm not going to f' with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts